This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 07-24-2010   #1
bowserlm

Default Question about "Secrets of Organic Modeling" DVD as it relates to Cinema 4D

I'm following along with the "Secrets of Organic Modeling" DVD with Taron. He's using Lightwave, but I'm going through it on Cinema 4D. He is using an interesting feature of Lightwave that I was wondering if there is a Cinema 4D equivalent of. He talks about being able to use the "Position of the mouse as the pivot point." As he's modeling, he's constantly tweaking selections of points and polygons and they move around in interesting ways because he's got his Lightwave setup to use the position of his mouse as the pivot point for transformations such as Scale and Rotate, rather than the pivot being the Center Average of all the selected points or polygons. It really seems to be a big staple of how he is able to do what he does as fast as he does. I was just wondering from anyone who is more well versed in Cinema 4D than I am, is there an equivalent feature?

Thanks so much for any help!
bowserlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #2
Eightball

Awards Showcase

Well, I'm not a Cinema expert, but as far as I know there is no such feature in Cinema.

As you mentioned the preset setting is that the average position of your selection is used as the center of you transformation, however, you can change this to being the center of your object or the center of your scene, I think. You can also change the orientation of the axis when moving things. These options are all in the tool setting, when you select your tool. It's the very first tab I think, but I'm not sure. It offers you two dropdown menus where you can independently choose the center of your transformation and the orientation.
It's a little unhandy, but it does work. Yet not to be compared to Mayas quick menus, in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Alex

-Roger H. Lincoln-
Eightball is offline   Reply With Quote