This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 05-17-2011   #1
Silver105

Default Silver105's portfolio site

I could use any suggestions you have. I'm going to focus on modeling and texturing.

My portfolio is at www.ginoschrementiportfolio.carbonmade.com

Thanks,

Gino
Silver105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #2
Silver105

Default Hey guys

So I've noticed a lot of people viewing my portfolio, but I haven't received any feedback yet. I'm wondering if there is anything I should eliminate or should focus more on if I'm trying to be a modeler/texture artist in the industry. Please comment guys I need the help!
Old 07-20-2011   #3
cooliejc

Hey Gino, I think you have taken the right approach by posting all your work online. It makes it very easy to get your work in front of people who have hiring power in the industry. You mentioned that your goal is to be a 3D artist specializing in modeling and texturing... I don't really get that impression from the broad range of work you display. Only show your best work that relates to the job you're looking for.

I'm also looking for work, but I'm targeting the Environment Artist role. On my portfolio (see here) I showcase my best work first, then follow it up with relevant examples of my work that is useful for the job I'm looking for (i.e. high-fidelity modeling, lighting experience, having some training in fine arts, etc.).

From what I have seen on your site, your strong suit is most definitely the first two scenes under the "Lighting and Texturing" category. Those look well-done and present you better as an artist. For the time being, it's much much better to only show those two scenes than posting everything you have done. Otherwise, keep doing personal projects and try to build your professional network!

Last edited by cooliejc; 07-20-2011 at 09:38 AM.
cooliejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #4
THEMike

I really like how the website looks, very simple, and slick and does not take the focus away from the art. One thing I would probably add to the site would be a side bar maybe with the various galleries listed, so viewers can move to another gallery without having to go back to the main page.

As for the art itself I wouldn't know what to tell you, cause I have just started learning 3d and know almost nothing about texturing and lighting. I really dig the animations though,especially the "homework first" one, well done.

Hope that was helpful.
THEMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #5
Silver105

Default Following up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooliejc View Post
Hey Gino, I think you have taken the right approach by posting all your work online. It makes it very easy to get your work in front of people who have hiring power in the industry. You mentioned that your goal is to be a 3D artist specializing in modeling and texturing... I don't really get that impression from the broad range of work you display. Only show your best work that relates to the job you're looking for.

I'm also looking for work, but I'm targeting the Environment Artist role. On my portfolio (see here) I showcase my best work first, then follow it up with relevant examples of my work that is useful for the job I'm looking for (i.e. high-fidelity modeling, lighting experience, having some training in fine arts, etc.).

From what I have seen on your site, your strong suit is most definitely the first two scenes under the "Lighting and Texturing" category. Those look well-done and present you better as an artist. For the time being, it's much much better to only show those two scenes than posting everything you have done. Otherwise, keep doing personal projects and try to build your professional network!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So do think that the game models I made just are quite up to snuff? Should I pull them down? I agree that the first images of the scenery are some of my best work, but is it really the best thing to do by just taking everything else down? I've already taken a lot down. I feel that if took my animations down it would just be hampering me further, while yes I am trying to focus on modeling and texturing, I still somewhat enjoy animating and I want to prove it's a skill that i have and would prefer that the employer see's that. Although I have heard this before to some extent that, you need to sell yourself to your employer based on why they should hire you over someone else. So I guess the question is, do I care if I don't animate at all, thus taking down my portfolio animations.
Old 07-27-2011   #6
gratefulbliss

Some general tips regarding portfolios:

1. Keep everything short and sweet.
2. Obviously try to only show your best work.
3. Pick around 25-30 of what you consider to be your best pieces. Your portfolio is only as good as your weakest painting or model.
4. In a portfolio don't show things like tests or fundamental things like perspective.
5. Showing that you can do a wide range of art is good, you don't have to limit yourself to environments, characters, or vehicles. In the industry today there are people that can do different things and do them well. Most people that specialize in a certain field are professionals that are what you would consider, the "best" at what they do. Keeping yourself open to a mass of subject matter is great!

This is all I can think of for now, hope it helps.
gratefulbliss is offline   Reply With Quote