This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 10-03-2008   #1
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

Default Welcome to General Chat!

Hi all...

This forum is a place for ya'll to post whatever topics you would like to discuss... from questions about our DVDs to Gnomonology, software, hardware, announcements, etc. Discussion should involve participation from the community as we can only answer so many questions a week. But we will be sure to check in here and be as helpful as we can!

-Alex
personal site: www.alexalvarez.com
follow me on twitter
A.Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008   #2
DarrenT

awesome. i sign up yesterday and think that a few extra sections would be really handy, within 24 hours they are here.

i think i should get a gold bar in the post tomorrow morning O.o

seriously though as a noob i am really glad of the new sections!
DarrenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #3
elemidi

Default networking thread

As a newcomer, I wonder if there are any areas on this site where members go to discuss work opportunities, if they want, for instance, help in finding places to submit portfolios for review, or to schedule informational interviews, freelancing, etc.

Thanks
elemidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #4
anandakumarvb

can v download any maya works here as i need it urgently.
if so mail me at anandkumar2109@gmail.com.

plz plz do it fastly
anandakumarvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #5
Tascha

Default Am I missing something?

Is there no section for "real" sculpting? I mean getting the fingers dirty and all that. I do Polymerclay sculpts and you do sculpting tutorials with clay. An Alternative would be to get the analogue sculpting in with the digital stuff if there are not so many people sculpting by hand. I would definitely like to take part in a monthly challenge every now and again.
Tascha
Tascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #6
entropyinverted

Awards Showcase

Default Why not Modo?

I was curious if anyone can tell me why Modo isn't used very often? I've been using Modo 401 and the user interface, render engine and fur tools are awesome! Obviously it is lacking some of the key rigging and animation tools, but for so many things it is so much better than Maya... I'm glad it was used for District 9- but when will bigger studios start hiring Modo users?
entropyinverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #7
teddyadmassu

Hi everyone,

I am sure you guys went through similar question as this one before and I feel bad to bring this up again. But, it is kind of important for me and I truly appreciate any suggestion.

I am shopping for a new computer specifically for Maya. I will be doing modeling for now and move on to animation later on. I know that Processor, Graphics card and Memory are the most important parts of the computer but what I don’t know is which one of these is the most important and which one is the second and third, for modeling in Maya?

The reason I am asking this is because I have a budget limitation and I want to prioritize the items so I can get the most out of the money.

My second question is that, is there a significant difference in performance between Dual Quad Core and Single Quad Core Xeon?

Thanks a lot for your time!!

Teddy
teddyadmassu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #8
Kerem

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyadmassu View Post
Hi everyone,

I am sure you guys went through similar question as this one before and I feel bad to bring this up again. But, it is kind of important for me and I truly appreciate any suggestion.

I am shopping for a new computer specifically for Maya. I will be doing modeling for now and move on to animation later on. I know that Processor, Graphics card and Memory are the most important parts of the computer but what I don’t know is which one of these is the most important and which one is the second and third, for modeling in Maya?

The reason I am asking this is because I have a budget limitation and I want to prioritize the items so I can get the most out of the money.

My second question is that, is there a significant difference in performance between Dual Quad Core and Single Quad Core Xeon?

Thanks a lot for your time!!

Teddy
I think the new Intel Core i7 cpus with high clock rate are very good. They also works like 8 core.

The alternative is AMD's 6 core processor which is same price with core i7 but comes with physical 6 cores.

There are methods to run game graphics card like it is FireGL or Quadro - they call it moding I guess. But as far as I know, even the most cheapest model of professional Quadro cards works faster with 3D applications than big gaming graphic cards.

If you want something particular, my personal choice would be something like this:

INTEL Core i7-950 D0 SLBEN, 3.06GHz CPU
FOXCONN Bloodrage GTI Mainboard
3 pieces of SAMSUNG M378B5273CH0-CH900 4GB RAMs
SAMSUNG HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive
PALIT PLT-GTX570-1280MB-SNC-PLT GTX570 Sonic Platinium Graphics Card

COOLER MASTER HAF Case + COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700 700W Power Supply.

Hope this helps a bit...

Last edited by Kerem; 03-27-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Kerem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #9
tamtam

Question

Hello!

I'm a 2d animator, willing to learn 3d, who bought a tutorial from the gnomon workshop site. I would like to know if it is possible to get some feedback on it? I searched the forum and dind't found anything about this topic, and i saw there is a section for the free dvd tutorials, but not for the ones that we pay for. Before posting a possible inappropriate topic, I prefer to ask...

So my question is : is it possible to open a topic for getting feedback on a scene I did with a tutorial I bought from the website? (or maybe there is a hidden topic for the users of those tutorials? )

Thank you very much
(and pardon my bad English)

Tam
tamtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #10
Kosrona

Talking Threads

Also wich Threads i think

beginner/newbie

Each DVD need a own Thread

Example:
Plant Series 1
Insects 1 (On the DVD comming Questions like example me for Insect= whasup on chapter 6 start with the file size its goes 100% over 4GB and no words what to do.)

Plugin Forum

Review Works Also showcase on you Tutorials

Help

Allow ( i dont now its already) Youtube Videos;

Last to say sry for me terrible english
Kosrona is offline   Reply With Quote