This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 07-11-2013   #1
PMendonca

Default My First Painting, River Styx WIP

Hi Everyone!

I'm brand new to the forum although i have visited and viewed many of the work here. All of it is very inspiring and I've finally built up the courage to post here.

I've been working on a painting for the River Styx challenge, my first real attempt at painting anything on Photoshop. I've done many sketches and drawings but never paintings.

I'd love some ideas and pointers, please be kind it's been hard for me to post anything here

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	styx_river_wip01.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	8437  

Last edited by PMendonca; 07-24-2013 at 14:22 PM.
PMendonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #2
PMendonca

quick update, not sure i'm liking where i'm going with it.
Might start over with a new take on the theme.
Let know your thoughts

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	styx_river_wip02.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	8438  

Last edited by PMendonca; 07-24-2013 at 14:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2013   #3
Seavannah

Not bad at all I think. Love the faces on the side of the cave. Maybe have some water coming from them.

Like the whirl pool around Charon (grim reaper). I think the biggest thing is to pay most attention to the river and start building the water up a bit. When you have the details on the rest of cave some good reflections in the water will certainly make it better. The theme is the River Styx so always keep that in mind and bring the most attention to the water, the rest of it in your cave is just detail to bring out the water.

Sometimes it is best to relax, have fun with it. Try something else if not happy with it but try to come back to this if you have time or one day I really like this image.

Good luck to you.
Seavannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #4
PMendonca

Thanks for the insight! I will definitely start working on some detailing and paying attention to the water. not really sure how i'm gonna do that but we'll see. Here's a small update, i was off for a week and didnt get to work on it until now

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 07-25-2013   #5
Seavannah

Nice update looks cleaner and like Charon better in this one. Like the cave withe the water going out it. Missing that big cavern feel you had in the back of the cave.

With the water just make a few more details it seems flat, that whirl pool looks great though.

Good luck to you I know how hard it is to find time or it I hope I will be able to finish mine such a great theme and I love painting rocks and caves.

Hope to see it finished no mater what though enter it you never know sometimes they will even pick unfinished ones as long as they show potential. Take care
Seavannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #6
PMendonca

last update i think, still time for a little fix and edit

Uploaded with ImageShack.us