This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Image Challenge > 3D images



3D images Add your best 3D images: Maya, Max, Zbrush, etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009   #21
nicholas_caruana
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Malta
Posts: 71

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

Grate work samrkennedy!!!!!!!!!!!
nicholas_caruana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #22
pricetag
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8

Awards Showcase

Default Battle Worn Entry Jan 09

January 09 entry

Battle Worn,

This is a model that I started working on some time ago, but never finished. I plan to rig and animate a simple walk cycle with it sometime in the near future. Since I thought it seemed to fit with this months theme I dusted it off, fixed a few glitches and rendered out some stills. Hope you like it.



Tools used, maya, zbrush, photoshop.
pricetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #23
samrkennedy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14

Awards Showcase

Default For those who have asked...

Thanks for the appreciation. This is an old picture, but it fit the theme perfectly. Alex Alvarez has said, "For this contest it is perfectly fine to use work you already have... there are no expectations of people to produce new images exclusively for the contest."

Best wishes to everyone.
samrkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #24
JohnAnthony
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 60
Default

Hey Pricetag,
I like that piece a lot, I think it would look great it you amped up the battle damage, those hoses are just crying out for spark trails and smoke. The lighting adds just the right touch. Pretty cool!
JohnAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #25
neuromancer2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly Specter View Post
How did you do all that in 6 Days samrkennedy???
Seems that quit a lot of Poser models and/or pre-made models that can be found all over the web, are used in this competition. Alot of them come with clothing and accessories as well. So it doesn't take much skill or time at all to slap something together and nab some free DVDs. And the judges don't seem to mind at all...which personally leaves me a bit confused.

I'm not saying that samrkennedy has used pre-made models...it's just something I've noticed in many of the past competitions on this site.
neuromancer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #26
LumatDrake
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ozzangeles, Italy
Posts: 56

Awards Showcase

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrkennedy View Post
"For this contest it is perfectly fine to use work you already have... there are no expectations of people to produce new images exclusively for the contest."
Well....I guess it's time to change a bit the rules then!!!!

It's useless for the community to come here, don't show anything about your work and post a composition done long (or not so long) time ago (I am saying this in general) just to win DVDs. As I said before we should share and improve... This is the reason forums were born I think..."to talk" with people around the world....

Let's say that a Gnomon DVD is about 60 $..... The first prize...25 DVD.....1500$ in training DVD every month (only for the 1st prize winners.....4500$ all the 3 contests)
I think there should be quite effort to win all these prizes!!!!! If we want this to be only a "post whatever you have that fits" without showing or saying anything, it's ok....we can do it....but it won't be a FORUM anymore.

I think there should be a binding "work in progress post" for each entry (not a daily post, but the main steps....) and the prohibition to use web's finished models and that kind of stuff....We can use base models or personal models(like average man from Zbrush) just as a start and then refine...blablablablabla....I have said to much...sorry, I sound like and old man now...LOL....
Just an idea....Not my forum...Gnomon's forum.....

*Bye guys, keep it up and don't get (too) mad with each other.....*

And sorry again for my preaching.....
__________________
Never give up...
LumatDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #27
JokerFrown
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumatDrake View Post
Well....I guess it's time to change a bit the rules then!!!!

It's useless for the community to come here, don't show anything about your work and post a composition done long (or not so long) time ago (I am saying this in general) just to win DVDs. As I said before we should share and improve... This is the reason forums were born I think..."to talk" with people around the world....

Let's say that a Gnomon DVD is about 60 $..... The first prize...25 DVD.....1500$ in training DVD every month (only for the 1st prize winners.....4500$ all the 3 contests)
I think there should be quite effort to win all these prizes!!!!! If we want this to be only a "post whatever you have that fits" without showing or saying anything, it's ok....we can do it....but it won't be a FORUM anymore.

I think there should be a binding "work in progress post" for each entry (not a daily post, but the main steps....) and the prohibition to use web's finished models and that kind of stuff....We can use base models or personal models(like average man from Zbrush) just as a start and then refine...blablablablabla....I have said to much...sorry, I sound like and old man now...LOL....
Just an idea....Not my forum...Gnomon's forum.....

*Bye guys, keep it up and don't get (too) mad with each other.....*

And sorry again for my preaching.....

I would support that idea but Idont think that'll happen
I dont have a WIP post but I would all my stages if neccesary
JokerFrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #28
DJZ
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 58

Awards Showcase

Default

The people at Gnomon were kind enough to make a contest where they give away FREE training and all everyone ever seems to do is criticize it. If it were me I'd say just be happy with it, they don't have to do this if they don't want to, whether you made something new for this contest or used something you had on your hard drive for a couple years doesn't really matter, what matters is the end result, and I know if it's something you made awhile ago you more than likely had more time to work on it, but you can make something just as good in a month, that's a long time, of course life will probably get in the way sometimes, I know there were a few months that I would have liked to submit something but just didn't have the time, so I waited for the next month.
So to sum things up, be HAPPY with what we have here, if you want a Make if for this challenge and a WIP challenge there are plenty of those all over the net.
And like everyone else says on the internet that posts their rants, I'm not complaining, just my opinion.

Good night and Good luck
DJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #29
Ghostly Specter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrkennedy View Post
Thanks for the appreciation. This is an old picture, but it fit the theme perfectly. Alex Alvarez has said, "For this contest it is perfectly fine to use work you already have... there are no expectations of people to produce new images exclusively for the contest."

Best wishes to everyone.
Odd rule to be able to use older work to enter a contest for training videos. But the rules are the rules.

Well anyways good job on the older image it looks really good.
Ghostly Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #30
samrkennedy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14

Awards Showcase

Default

I love this contest. It inspires me and focuses my self-improvement efforts. I've spent over 100 hours creating entries for past months challenges. If something fits once in while that's already done, I think that's very lucky.
samrkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
January, 2009: Invasion A.Alvarez 2D images 112 09-10-2009 08:10 AM
Battle Worn_W.I.P nicholas_caruana Work-in-Progress (WIPs) 5 01-13-2009 20:10 PM
January, 2007: Tunnel A.Alvarez 3D images 38 03-19-2007 12:12 PM
January, 2007: Tunnel A.Alvarez 2D images 129 03-10-2007 08:12 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:59 AM.

 
Forums Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2000-2013 The Gnomon Workshop, Inc. - All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without written permission.