This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 05-17-2017   #1
Alexander Santiago

Default Advice on where to start?- Traditional vs Specialized

Hello everyone! I would like to start a thread for those who are (or feel like) beginners. A place for the veterans to give advice on a smart approach of where to start when learning art.

I have been studying 3d modeling and animation for a few years now, and I feel I am no where near the level I need to be to even think about getting a job in the industry. I know this feeling of being ready might never go away, but the constant rejections definitely reinforce it.

So I have been trying to make a smart approach on what to learn and where to begin. This is EXTREMELY overwhelming. There are so many places to start. Part of me thinks I should increase my knowledge of the foundations: perspective, light and shading, anatomy, composition and color, etc. But another part of me thinks I should focus on a more specialized route (modeling in particular). So I think I should learn the software and how to create better products geared more towards jobs I would want.

What do you all think? Would it be more beneficial to focus solely on the foundations of traditional art, or should I learn more specific skills? (I have tried to do both simultaneously and end up spinning my wheels. I feel I learn better when I focus on one topic at a time.)

Thanks in advance for the advice!

(Sorry if there is already a thread similar to this.)
Alexander Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote