This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 02-08-2007   #21
yoshi_mazaki

Default 3..

4. How much creative input do you have in the designs?
It really depends on a project I'm working on. Creative brief (from Studio) is a one thing, but execution and brainstorming is a different story I guess. Most honest answer would be: sometimes I have "total freedom" and I can just "go for it" where sometimes... eh... those sometimes... Please keep in mind that even with "total freedom" I have to apply and include all the rules and guides associated with present movie posters "style guide". There are guides and rules applying to title (size, placement, etc), subtitle, billing blocks (size, placement, etc), actors names, logos, trimmings, colors, proportions, likenesses, techniques... oh, many things you have to think about, when designing. After few years it comes kind of "naturally". Ofcourse I prefer those "go-for-it-projects" mostly...
yoshi_mazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #22
yoshi_mazaki

Default 4...

5. Take us through the process for creating Movie posters. How does it start?
Big campaigns - for an "A" category movies - start about a year or even two years before premiere. Most of the time a few agencies are trying to "solve the problem" - design a poster. Some agnecies "are strong" with comedies, some with dramas and some with sci-fi themes - Studios have to choose the "right agency" for each job. And it's not an easy job when the movie is in pre-production stage. Some Studios share only general idea about the project, some Studios deliver a script from the movie and some let us watch rough-cut before we start to work and brainstorm about poster and campaign. Those informations - from Studios - are confidential. Once again: it really depends on a project, it's stage in production or time left to premiere. Then, with Creative Brief an Agency gathers their "creative force" to brainstorm - to set up not just a look of the poster but all the aspects of the campaign... each little thing have to fit into marketing plan and have to be accepted by countless amount of people - ofcourse everyone have his own "five cents" and general idea how it (campaign) should look like. We have to VISUALIZE it also - and this is the tricky part. In meantime we (Agnecy) have to prepare a lot of things: sketch presentations, conceptualize, gather reference for projects (style, feel, treatment), to arrange special photoshoots - with actors, models or just props, create a logos (separate presentations simultaniously), establish a "feel" of the campaign and once movie is shot we can use a screengrabs also for our purposes. From this point work on a poster is divided into "presentations" where Agnecy prepares about 10-20 posters for each meeting with Client. Some Art Directors and Designers are assigned to particular job permanently and some work on it randomly - talent and style plays a big role here. Going back to "presentations"... each one of them is a bit different, sometimes full of "tweaks" sometimes we have to try "something new"... a different approach. Each "comp" (pre-poster) is created in scale so we don't have to deal with 2GB files each and every time. Once a "comp" is approved for it's final stage - it has to be rebuild at higher resolution and bigger size - usually: 27 by 40 inches. From there.. goes to the printer and... around the world. I've simplified this process a bit here. Sometimes we have to do few photoshoots, hire some additional artists - as I said, it really depends on a project and Studio where project comes from.
Old 02-08-2007   #23
yoshi_mazaki

Default 5...

6. How important are Movie posters in the complete promotional set up for a film? Do you think it has changed with the availability of information through the internet?
Movie Posters are called Key Art (and respectively - Key Art Awards) here in US and i guess this name answers the question. Poster sets up a whole visual experience for viewers, elements from it are taken to all sorts of promotional materials, DVD's, CD's, books, clothes and the Internet. And the "Almighty Internet" have to be taken very seriously... information spreads with lightspeed there... if it's a good news or bad - can reach millions of people in a split second. It's a big advantage... but also a great danger to any campaign. We - designers - still design posters as posters but at the back of our heads we have to think: how this title would look like on a small banner? can i convert my artwork to horizontal piece? is my artwork to "busy" for a web? Designing a poster is a never ending compromise.

7. Do you have a favourite project after all these years?
Let me think for a moment... ...no, I don't have my favourite project. Yet. I really enjoy every (or most) project. This adrenaline rush, this excitement, challenge... it's... hard to describe. You just have to try it...
Old 02-08-2007   #24
yoshi_mazaki

Default 6...

8. Do you have a dream project that you would like for the future?
Yes. Back in Poland we have very specific style of posters (www.polishposter.com)... and I would love to experiment with those kind of posters one day.

9. Do you have one piece of advice for any aspiring artists?
Be patient... sometimes it takes 20 years to do what you really love to do.

Thanks very much for talking to us, Good luck for the future.
- thank you.

Interviewee(s) : Tom Arthur Opasinski
Contact eMail : www@tom-arthur-opasinski.com
Website Address : www.tom-arthur-opasinski.com
Old 02-20-2007   #25
Bino

Beautiful portfolio ^^

Bino.

http://binoland.blogspot.com/

http://portfoliobino.free.fr/

Last edited by Bino; 02-20-2007 at 04:45 AM.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #26
yoshi_mazaki

Default ...

...thank you guys. ...for all emails also.
have a great day.
~yoshi

Last edited by yoshi_mazaki; 03-20-2007 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2007   #27
DColonna

I know that this is getting repetitive but wow awesome work. Thank you for sharing!!!

Dan
DColonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #28
6dollarman

Outstanding work.

...6dollarman
6dollarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #29
yoshi_mazaki

Default ...

...thank you guys. this work is like neverending "war" between this what clients want and this what i want to give them... marriage of those two can be interesting in momst cases... not all... but most... my friend is programming new website for me as we speak, so... soon.. maybe in may, i'll post some new stuff, mixed with old stuff ofcourse...

have a happy easters!
~tomasz aka yoshi mazaki
Old 06-13-2007   #30
yoshi_mazaki

Default ...

...new sites are up...

www.tomasz-opasinski.com
www.yoshi-mazaki.com

Last edited by yoshi_mazaki; 08-17-2007 at 19:46 PM.