This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 01-07-2009   #1
3Dmetrius

Post 3Dmetrius Portfolio Sample.

Some of my stuff.
Comments are welcome

www.3dmetrius.deviantart.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water_Hand_LoW.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2409

Some photoshop stuff.

Last edited by 3Dmetrius; 01-08-2009 at 06:22 AM.
3Dmetrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #2
3Dmetrius

Wink

Just to say guys, I'm not a concept artist. Don't even believe I have enough level to be one.
My business is Advertisement illustration and stuff like that, but I'm here to try to learn something from you all.
Old 01-12-2009   #3
JohnAnthony

I definetely like the logos you've done, really great, and I think it's interesting the way you move the eye around those pieces. The same rhythms are carrying over into Blue Desert, jo landscape dark bomber, etc , through the values, color and rhythm....even if you're just expermenting with the conceptual, I'm sure you will excel at it, with a strong command of these foundations already establsihed..good luck!
JohnAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #4
JokerFrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dmetrius View Post
Just to say guys, I'm not a concept artist. Don't even believe I have enough level to be one.
My business is Advertisement illustration and stuff like that, but I'm here to try to learn something from you all.
you know if say I draw a stickman in a building thats concept right?
you have some very good pieces
JokerFrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #5
3Dmetrius

Smile Wow

Hey, thanks for that guys.
Old 01-13-2009   #6
JohnAnthony

Yeah, I think your ability to translate what a client wants in a logo will serve you well when a client is expressing what they want the concept art to convey. There was an amazing section of the recent Gnomon Masterclass by Jonathan Berube that was really about Matte painting but was heavy on concept, and there's just so much cross over between the 2. From persp sketch to dropping in psd elements, making it fit, it was a great lecture. If if ends up being relased as a dvd, get it.

Don't get lost between the painterly and the graphic aspects, when you find how those 2 live happily in a painting you will be stellar.
JohnAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #7
3Dmetrius

Arrow

Man, I really thinking about get some of those Gnomon internet classes one of these days. It gonna be a matter of synchronization - you know Gnomon x Brazilian Official Time.
I hope that class you said really become a DVD or a downloadable subject, I use them a lot.
All in all, I gonna keep working on it.

The biggest obstacle I've encountered, when experimenting on Concept Art, is the fact that, to paint in Photoshop like done on a canvas is something not very usual in the workflow of a advertisement art director.

So, The biggest part of my time I'm trying to adapt my techniques to use them like a painter would use.
I found myself practicing stuff like in my school days. Learning again how to do things by hand and then, do it by hand in a computer.

Well, I can say that I'm having a lot of fun doing so.
Old 02-23-2009   #8
Uneven Steven

Default Nice

First time I have had a chance to take a peak at your work. The hand is sick!! How did you go about rendering the hand to make it look so much like flowing water?
Old 03-30-2009   #9
3Dmetrius

Thumbs up better late than never...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneven Steven View Post
First time I have had a chance to take a peak at your work. The hand is sick!! How did you go about rendering the hand to make it look so much like flowing water?
================================================== =======

Hi! sorry about the hiatus, was too busy on work.

So, the water hand. Well, I've just used a really big bunch of photo manipulation and matte painting.

You know that archive magazine cover with Giselle Bunchen wearing a water dress?
The creative director have asked me something like that.

Sounds like "Hey, Demetrio, if we provide some photos could you do it?" And then gave me the magazine as reference.

So. I draw a hand, than found pieces of photos of water in movement that could match the light and the edges of my drawing. After that I tried to enhance with some matte painting techniques.
You know, advertisement use a lot of photos to "borrow" the render and stuff, sounds cheap, but you can see the result.

Hope I have explained the thing.

See U!
Old 06-01-2009   #10
AsonoJuma

Default Hi Here goes my portfolio sample

I honestly do not know what to say. Ive always admired your work and this just proves you are AMAZING I was hoping youd join the forum and you have.

I would say something constructive but i just cant - their all so incredible. Thank you SO much for posting your work. Youve inspired me start making a graphic now

Kind Regards,
Medine
AsonoJuma is offline   Reply With Quote