This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 03-24-2011   #1
toulouse

Default Lost at Sea - "Rude Awakening"

Here is my final two WIPs for the "Lost at Sea" challenge. I am thinking that I will use one of these two images as an entry. Still working on adding AO to them, but wanted to get some feedback from anyone that would like to give it. Sometimes we stare at an image so long that we miss obvious mistakes. Any critiques would be greatly appreciated. Also, could anyone tell me how to put full size pictures on my posts instead of thumbnails? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rudeAwakening01.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	605.6 KB
ID:	6064   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudeAwakening02.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	581.7 KB
ID:	6065  
toulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #2
pinica

Awards Showcase

It`s interesting idea and it look very funny. The guy really has personality.
I make 2 remarks:
In the first, the light of sun it is in front of the guy (look at the shadow of the man). On the other hand, the left part of the ship is blue so it has suggestionig that the light is on right.
Furthermore, everything is almost cartoon, except the sky which it look very realistic.
all the best and thx for your post, also
pinica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #3
toulouse

Default thanks Pinica

Thanks Pinica - very good observations. I noticed the shadow problem, but if I put the main illumination where it should be, the man is in full shadow. Maybe I could use a fill light to bring him out of shadow and not cast shadows in the process. I really like the sky, but I see your point. Thanks for the input.
toulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011   #4
pinica

Awards Showcase

Photoshop is another solution. you can try to solve the problem of the shadow using a mask. If you rendered in a 3d aplication using multipass, can be much more simple.
good luck
pinica is offline   Reply With Quote