This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 04-01-2011   #1
maggietoh

Default Why does this suck?

Any suggestions?

BTW- not finished, stopped in the middle cause it wasn't working. Something is VERY off. Lighting and background will be done later...but there's something about this creature that just plain sucks. Hoping I can fix it and move on.

Last edited by maggietoh; 04-01-2011 at 11:17 AM.
maggietoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #2
TofurkeyMan

He's definitely not as bad as you think. But the things I notice first are his hair and legs. His hair is kinda girly. The bangs make it look like he kinda wants to go clubbing or something. I suggest ditching them completely, clumping the hair so it looks wet, and having it a lot thinner. Think Triple H in the WWE :P that kind of bad ass long wet hair look.

The other thing is his legs. Either they are too long, or his arms are too short. If he were to stand up straight, his hands would be at his waist, when really they should be midway down his thigh (if your going for the proportions of a human). You could add a bit more expression to his face as well, maybe exaggerate some anger. He kinda looks like he's in the middle of a dance step and he's focusing on not falling.

It's a good drawing, those are just the things I notice Keep it up!
TofurkeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #3
maggietoh

Default thanks

well he's supposed to be a sort of androgynous magical creature. Kind of the david bowie of satyrs. did a quick photo-mash and drawing overlay of the environment he's supposed to be in to express the type of personality the guy is supposed to have. This isnt done yet, really sort of just started. thanks for the input!
maggietoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #4
toulouse

Default doesn't suck

I agree with TofurkeyMan - his face lacks expression. You have posed his body as he is about to pounce on something or spring into action. Nice positioning. Then his face is without expression and looking down. Maybe he would look more dynamic if he were looking upward and had a snarl or something going on with his mouth. The dynamics of his head and body don't match. You did a very good job of modeling. Possibly a little long in the waist? Also, I would like to see a bit more musculature which is now obscured by fur. Especially on his legs. Keep up the good work though. It is a really good start.
toulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #5
AlexNik

Well it doesn't suck, but its not very interesting either. First the pose, you need to give the viewer a complete understanding and foreshadowing of what is about to happen. The sculpt looks cool, because the pose works for that view of the character. Also you should focus on important areas, give most detail to the face, torso (or whatever you want the viewer to look at). Make the character more dynamic, give him props or details that represent his occupation (muscles, clothes, weapons, wounds, dirt, magic). When making a scene, don't make it too big, just give enough to give the feeling for surroundings. Hope that helps and don't give up!
AlexNik is offline   Reply With Quote