This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 11-04-2006   #1
gilberteaz

Default Nov theme

I would like to know the theme for November. So that I can get started early!

Last edited by gilberteaz; 11-04-2006 at 19:32 PM.
gilberteaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #2
beelow

Alex said they are going to judge this last months contest first then do next one after. Hang tight dude!
beelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #3
gilberteaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelow View Post
Alex said they are going to judge this last months contest first then do next one after. Hang tight dude!
I was just very busy this month. At work I am copying 1984 economics video series to DVDs. The videos are in really poor condition we had to try each video on three different VCRs to see which one the video played best on before burning. Plus they were boring to watch. Studying for my computer trouble shooting class mid-term "I got a B". I caught a cough from my niece which I still have. I had a cut on my leg that caught infection the doctor took out a tablespoon full of puss out of my leg. The pain was really bad! I could hardly walk for four days, I was off from work for a week. My leg was three times it's normal size. I had to have my leg up above my heart to reduce swelling which meant no computer. The doctor told me to do exactly what he said or I would end up in the hospital. I have already seen the doctor three times this month. I have to take three different perscriptions, I have lab fees and medical bills, I'm broke right now. When I went back to work I had to work late to catch up. The last four days of the month I helped my brother make Halloween costumes which all three won gift baskets at one contest. One costume That my brother wore won a mountain bike at another contest. I started painting one of my images right after work I ended up putting in a all-nighter to finish my images in time for this contest. Right now, I have my leg soaking in a bucket of warm water and ivory soap "doctors orders". I still have a hole about half an inch across on my leg that fluids from clear to yellow and red leak out of. I will have to borrow money from my parents for my doctors appointment for Monday. So thats why I would like to get a early start. Who knows what's going to happen to me this month.
gilberteaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #4
Rabid Peanut

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilberteaz View Post
I was just very busy this month. At work I am copying 1984 economics video series to DVDs. The videos are in really poor condition we had to try each video on three different VCRs to see which one the video played best on before burning. Plus they were boring to watch. Studying for my computer trouble shooting class mid-term "I got a B". I caught a cough from my niece which I still have. I had a cut on my leg that caught infection the doctor took out a tablespoon full of puss out of my leg. The pain was really bad! I could hardly walk for four days, I was off from work for a week. My leg was three times it's normal size. I had to have my leg up above my heart to reduce swelling which meant no computer. The doctor told me to do exactly what he said or I would end up in the hospital. I have already seen the doctor three times this month. I have to take three different perscriptions, I have lab fees and medical bills, I'm broke right now. When I went back to work I had to work late to catch up. The last four days of the month I helped my brother make Halloween costumes which all three won gift baskets at one contest. One costume That my brother wore won a mountain bike at another contest. I started painting one of my images right after work I ended up putting in a all-nighter to finish my images in time for this contest. Right now, I have my leg soaking in a bucket of warm water and ivory soap "doctors orders". I still have a hole about half an inch across on my leg that fluids from clear to yellow and red leak out of. I will have to borrow money from my parents for my doctors appointment for Monday. So thats why I would like to get a early start. Who knows what's going to happen to me this month.

Well goodness, I hope the next theme is somewhat expressionistic cause this guy will have plenty of experiences to work with lol
Hopefully not every week will be a theme....I like these open ended ones a bit ! Not to say that halloween theme wasn't too restricting on my art style hehe....
Rabid Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #5
metalpiss

Awards Showcase

A challenge in which you can make whatever theme you like is good, but it also means you are in your "safe zone", so it won't be that challenging. A theme more out of the ordinary, which will throw almost everyone out of their safe zones will be better in my opinion, because it would be a real challenge and people will also improve more, because getting out of your safe zone (I repeated these words too much, I know) will make you explore new things and you will learn more. Just my opinion...
metalpiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #6
niq3d

Talking I agree!

I agree with metalpiss (not a sentence I thought I'd be typing this afternoon, great name by the way ).

It's far more rewarding to stretch your boundaries, and the challenge of thinking outside of your box will help creatively, this is especially true in concept art, where the whole point is dreaming up stuff that no-one has seen before.

Bring it on I say!

Niq
niq3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #7
CubePusher

Awards Showcase

Yeah me to its way more fun, open ended contests usually end up with you just posting something from your "stock".
CubePusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #8
Rabid Peanut

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalpiss View Post
A challenge in which you can make whatever theme you like is good, but it also means you are in your "safe zone", so it won't be that challenging. A theme more out of the ordinary, which will throw almost everyone out of their safe zones will be better in my opinion, because it would be a real challenge and people will also improve more, because getting out of your safe zone (I repeated these words too much, I know) will make you explore new things and you will learn more. Just my opinion...
\

I'm all for some challenges, but the problem is that these contests are still very much open ended...take for example CG talk's recent guidlines for colossus submission he has to be certain size, not modeled under any creature or human structure (ex...arms legs) and needs platforms that will lead up to a weak spot on his body....that is the specificity that you guys are looking for if you wish for a challenge out of saftey zones, it makes "halloween theme" seem like it has swiss cheese holes up the wazoo for our "saftey zone" ....that detailed or no?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...hreadid=425720

Point is, I'm still sitting pretty on MY themes....let's stir the pot up then!!!Go Alvarez!!!!

Niq3d I agree that out of the box is absolutley necessary but if we all make it big in the concept world (highly impropable but no use in not trying) your first designs will be completely off the wall of what your used to(just like the competitions your hoping for), once your personal work and style are seen after a while you will begin to see more centralized job offers to you....I mean you don't see anyone coming to Steven King asking him to write a story about cute cuddling puppies, same for famous concept artists like puddnhead, Calros Huante, George Hull, and Doug Chiang...be adaptive, make your clients happy but don't think your personal works and styles won't affect the people you going calling for or the ones that call for you (God we all can hope! )

Last edited by Rabid Peanut; 11-06-2006 at 23:46 PM.
Rabid Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote