This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 12-25-2010   #1
FL4I23

Red face Suitable?

Hi all!

I'm not to sure if I'm posting in the wrong section or anything (first post WOO!) so if it is, I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

I'm currently thinking about my career plans revolving around 3D art, maya and Zbrush etc.. And after evaluating my skills, strengths and weaknesses I came to the conclusion that I'm not so great at art/drawing...

So my question is this; Do I NEED to be good at art in order to be "successful" in this line of work? By all means I can draw (and have a creative flare if I do say so myself *points to username.. Says FLARE* ) but I'm not super-duper good at drawing..

I've been playing around with programs such as Adobe After Effects and FXHome which you can check out here:

www.youtube.com/googlerizer

But then again those little effects have little to do with 3D models..

So any advice, tips and answers will be GREATLY appreciated.
The time you guys took for even clicking on this thread is GREATLY appreciated,
Thank-you in advance.
FL4I23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #2
Robert Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL4I23 View Post
Hi all!

I'm not to sure if I'm posting in the wrong section or anything (first post WOO!) so if it is, I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

I'm currently thinking about my career plans revolving around 3D art, maya and Zbrush etc.. And after evaluating my skills, strengths and weaknesses I came to the conclusion that I'm not so great at art/drawing...

So my question is this; Do I NEED to be good at art in order to be "successful" in this line of work? By all means I can draw (and have a creative flare if I do say so myself *points to username.. Says FLARE* ) but I'm not super-duper good at drawing..

I've been playing around with programs such as Adobe After Effects and FXHome which you can check out here:

www.youtube.com/googlerizer

But then again those little effects have little to do with 3D models..

So any advice, tips and answers will be GREATLY appreciated.
The time you guys took for even clicking on this thread is GREATLY appreciated,
Thank-you in advance.

Imo, and in my experience I would say no... you do not have to be an outstanding drawing and painter to be a great CG modeler/sculptor.

But, at the same time you will be very limited in what you can achieve on your own without that back ground. So to be exceptional at it, no. But acquiring a solid back ground in that I would not over look. Definitely dedicate enough time to it, to develop enough of a capacity to be able to at least work things out on paper first, to a degree of proficiency. This will only help you in the long run, in positioning your self for a production environment, and you will certainly be better off with, than without.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #3
FL4I23

Hmmm.. Atleast you didn't say yes! Haha!

Thank-you for your reply! It's (as said twice already) GREATLY appreciated!

I'm gonna start practice soon, just have to get my exams outta the way! It's kinda tough studying for one thing but wanting to persue three things.. :/

^But that's another story! (or should I say thread? Ehehehe )

Till next time!
FL4I23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #4
Leeah

Default No one perfect

But due to your constant practice, you may bale to hit the point. What I mean, your going to be perfect at all.
Old 12-29-2010   #5
danlptr12

The most important thing to remember in planning a career in 3D graphics or computer animation is that it's what you bring to the computer, not how well you fly the software, that will matter most to your work. People with strong traditional visual arts skills generally produce the best graphics and animation, and get the best jobs, with the most creative control over their work.