This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 03-30-2007   #1
RCornell

Default Need help with maya transparency mapping

Hey guys, I accidentally posted this in the 2d forum, and I still need help figuring this out. Here is the link too the thread.

http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/...read.php?t=589

Thanks for the help everyone
RCornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007   #2
RCornell

I still need help with this. If anyone has any suggestions, please throw some my way
Old 03-31-2007   #3
Illy

1. Grey planes: it looks like there is extra geometry that you can just delete or maybe your trying to use the use background shader on them which I think just isn't assigned to the materials but if it isn't and thats what your confused about then i think it is the size of you transparency map and you colour map. Ok so when i tried redoing what I think you wanted to do I noticed that your transparency map was a different size compared to your colour map and their was yet another size for you original. In this case I would highly recommend keeping them all the same size as your original so that you don't have to use interactive placement or try moving your plane around trying to guess where it should be. Because of the size difference in your maps the transparency might not be covering the entire plane and your plane might be peaking through the map and if it were then you would see the default grey colour just like in your render.

2. If you didn't like how the bridge was a darker shade than the original then I would suggest using a anisotropic shader, I think there are a bunch shaders that you could use but i chose this one. Ok as for the settings I mapped the colour and transparency to your colour and transparency map respectively (but I filled in the white that you cropped off and moved them back to directly over the original bridge) it seams like you did just fine here. Ok so here is the important part, under the specular colour tab I set the specular colour to black. Then under the common material attributes I clicked on the colour box to the right of the "ambient colour" attribute name and left of its slider and the colour chooser will pop up in here there is a tab labeled sliders under that tab set the HSV (which if your using RGB settings then change it to HSV with the drop-down menu at the bottom of this tab) values to 0, 0, 0.5 from top to bottom. This changes the shading of the plane so that no light will ever effect it, it will always stay at the exact colour of the .jpg file it came from.

I sure hope that somewhere in my blob of text I answered your question because I wasn't completely sure of what you were asking of me.

If you were a little confused as to what I was asking you to do with the colour and transparency map .jpg files heres what I did to them although I was quite slopy so you should redo it good.

Keep at it,

Illy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	color_map.jpg
Views:	2066
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans_map_inverse.jpg
Views:	2024
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	649  

Last edited by Illy; 03-31-2007 at 18:32 PM.
Illy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007   #4
Mitko

Did you try using the " Use background" shader in Maya ?
It will capture only the shadows of objects and render the background.
You can model the surface so it represents more closely the plane on which you cast the shadows.
More info pls
Mitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #5
RCornell

thanks for your contributions guys.

Illy, The images that I uploaded too this site were cropped because of the file size restrictions on here for uploading. They ended up different sizes but I was just putting them up there too show you guys how I did the maps.

The grey planes are in there because they are going too be mapped with another part of the picture.

If you look at the rendered image compared too the original photograph that I used, the color is way off, and all I'm trying too do is get it too match. The rendered image came out too dark and too dull.

Oh, and I'm not very familiar with the use background shader, but I will read up on it.