This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 03-18-2010   #1
vicker111

Awards Showcase

Default Grand Fireplace WIP - the Phoenix

Really love this competition. The first time I have had the courage to enter one, everyone is so good! So any crits would really help.

I love grand fireplaces, especially those you can stand up in! So tried for a very renascence styled fireplace, with a Versailles theme. This is a clay render so far with a few details. I still need to UV map some of it, and model around the actual fire place, walls, floor, the perch for the Phoenix, finish the top part and the chair (which I imagine to be a rather run down old wooden chair, to reflect from the marble and shine of the actual grand fire). But I am happy with the progress so far. I was imagining a fire with a glass chimney with a statue in it, so the smoke gently weaves around the statue on the way up. I was thinking of gods of fire etc, but centred on a phoenix. Really enjoyed modelling that! So the phoenix sits above the fire and the smoke gently weaves around it on the way to the chimney above. I saw it as a combination of modern and renascence themes using glass, marble and sculptures. Everything in the model is my own work, yet the female I reused from an angel model I made, which features as the top statue, and with hair on either sides holding the columns. I am unsure if I will have time to texture the scene, rather busy at the moment, but will try. So far I have been working on it for ten days, of and on and attempted a shader for the stone statues. Lots of little details which was fun to create.

Any crits again more than welcome

Adam

vicker111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #2
einarmartinsen

Awards Showcase

cool and really nice with alot of details =) Something I find a bit wierd is the huge amount of weight that must be supportet by the woman holding the collums up. She seems a bit to slim for that in structure. But who cares, she could be made in a strong material =)
Old 03-19-2010   #3
vicker111

Awards Showcase

Hi Einarmartinsen
Ah thx. Ya I was imagining the structure supported by the back columns and walls with the inset also supporting it, and rods through the front columns and females. A slight illusion but I really liked the idea of it.
I saw your website its really good. Your work is awesome!
Old 03-19-2010   #4
einarmartinsen

Awards Showcase

Thanks alot Vicker111 =) Its nice to hear that you like it. Personally I think most of my work is crap. But hey, the inner critic is what makes us better, so I hope its a good thing =) Do you have a personal website? Your attention to detail is good and I would like to see more =)
Old 03-20-2010   #5
vicker111

Awards Showcase

Ya sure its www.thevicker.com
Old 03-21-2010   #6
vicker111

Awards Showcase

Finished the modelling now. Going to work on he texture and lighting over next few days.
Old 03-23-2010   #7
Pharion

Awards Showcase

It looks fantastic, the only qualm I have, and its a small one, is that the columns look too heavy for the female statuees to hold.

Oh and I just noticed the wings, I think they would look better with a bend at the wrist/elbow... wikid it, 6- Carpal joint

That should be easy to do with a lattice deformation.

Old 03-26-2010   #8
vicker111

Awards Showcase

Default Finished!!!

Hi Pharion, I adjusted the wings to have the middle elbow joint, slight error there (thank you for the help). Yet the idea of the females holding the columns I really like. In reality it would be supported with rods through the marble, and the back brace, while the females still look like they support the whole structure. I toyed with a few different ideas on using male figures, changing the pose of the females to be the whole columns in itself, but felt the best bet is just go with what I thought would work at the beginning. The initial idea of the simple female forms holding the weight of the columns and the phoenix in the central area with the smoking billowing around it really bring across what I wanted.

Anyhow I have now finished the piece, so here is a run down of a few of the objects, renders etc, and the final image at the bottom. Hope you like it, it has been a enjoyable (and my first) contest. I really enjoyed getting the feedback and working to a strict deadline. May be a while till my next one though since I have so much university work piled up now!!!. Love your Cohen. I have every Discworld!

Final Entry

Last edited by vicker111; 03-26-2010 at 14:49 PM.