This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Image Challenge > 2D images

2D images Display your best 2D work: traditional or digital

Old 06-21-2012   #21
JasonRoll

Default Posting

To post it full size you have to upload it somewhere else on the net (I did on deviantart) then use the insert image button and copy that image url into the space
JasonRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #22
chris bielecki

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca1979 View Post
Pencil work in progress of my second challenge in years.
A temple made of wood and contorted live trees with an ancient stone altar.

The girl is an unassuming tribute to the Grand Master illustrator Frank Frazetta.

Hope you like and hope i can finish it before the end of the challenge.
Nice pencils Luca
chris bielecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #23
jayriggo

Talking My submission

Here is my submission this month. I am extremely happy with this considering this is my first completed digital paint and fourth overall. This is some fun stuff, good luck everyone!!

jayriggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #24
jayriggo

Critiques are welcome and appreciated.
Old 06-21-2012   #25
JasonRoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayriggo View Post
Critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Hey Jay,

You're off to a great start. Playing with the tilt of the horizon line, as well as an underwater shot (not easy)

Here are few things to keep in mind. When working off of a theme like this, it's easy to get lost in its broadness. So here are a few things I do to nail down a story for the piece, because ultimately you want the viewer to not only see the story, but want more of it.

I wanted a forest creature being led to an old ruin by his favorite food (follow the bread crumbs) Simple. then I start sketching. I can some what see the possibility of a story in your piece, but can't quite put it together. Try to really nail down your idea in the initial sketch that way there are no surprises.

As far as the painting skill goes, you are on your way. don't be afraid of color, use your complimentary colors to really bring out a pieces mood. Your blue scene would really be set off but introducing red and orange....perhaps lights that lead the eye to a focal point. Also think of paths through the image for the eye to follow...key lines and areas of contrast that act as a guide, leading the viewer through the piece.

I'll leave it at that. Keep up the good work and good luck!
JasonRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #26
jayriggo

Thanks for the tips, I will take those into consideration for next months challenge. A few basic things that I had overlooked or forgotten all together. Good luck to you too. ;0)
Old 06-22-2012   #27
Roy Korpel

Awards Showcase

This time i did a totally different approach, starting with several photo's and tried a matte painting. I had big fun with it and made a video. It will be on youtube soon. Sofar, this is my final..maybe i tweak little things on the fly. But for now.. I am happy! The original file is 6000px wide and 150 dpi! My computer is smoked! Good luck everyone!

Last edited by Roy Korpel; 06-25-2012 at 14:31 PM.
Roy Korpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #28
Luca1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris bielecki View Post
Nice pencils Luca
Thx guy... Hope I can post the color version in some days...
Luca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #29
shrunkendesigner

Pieces are looking great!
[/FONT]
shrunkendesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #30
jayriggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonRoll View Post
Hey Jay,

You're off to a great start. Playing with the tilt of the horizon line, as well as an underwater shot (not easy)

Here are few things to keep in mind. When working off of a theme like this, it's easy to get lost in its broadness. So here are a few things I do to nail down a story for the piece, because ultimately you want the viewer to not only see the story, but want more of it.

I wanted a forest creature being led to an old ruin by his favorite food (follow the bread crumbs) Simple. then I start sketching. I can some what see the possibility of a story in your piece, but can't quite put it together. Try to really nail down your idea in the initial sketch that way there are no surprises.

As far as the painting skill goes, you are on your way. don't be afraid of color, use your complimentary colors to really bring out a pieces mood. Your blue scene would really be set off but introducing red and orange....perhaps lights that lead the eye to a focal point. Also think of paths through the image for the eye to follow...key lines and areas of contrast that act as a guide, leading the viewer through the piece.

I'll leave it at that. Keep up the good work and good luck!
Jason if you know of any good tut sites that would help that would be awesome, once again thanks for your words and advice.