This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 03-14-2011   #1
Kerem

Red face Temple Of Iris - WIP

Temple Of Iris: Ancient Egyptian Temple Environment - work in progress. Comments and critiques are welcome.

I've used a art history book of mine about ancient Egyptian temples. Scanned images from there and edited heavily to fit them to the architecture.
Old 03-18-2011   #2
Kerem

Talking Final

Here are the final renders with Mental Ray. Uvs laid out with Headus UV and Maya's UV editor, textures created with using Photoshop and one of my art history books plus 3d total textures volume 1. Hope you enjoy, comments and critiques are welcome...

Old 03-24-2011   #3
abone114

looking very nice, Love the lighting. One thing that will help the realism to your stone work is beveling the edges. Right now they look much too sharp and "3D" if you're using maya just select edges > edit mesh > bevel. there is an option box there and you may need to tweak the settings to get the desired result. keep up the good work!
abone114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #4
Kerem

Quote:
Originally Posted by abone114 View Post
looking very nice, Love the lighting. One thing that will help the realism to your stone work is beveling the edges. Right now they look much too sharp and "3D" if you're using maya just select edges > edit mesh > bevel. there is an option box there and you may need to tweak the settings to get the desired result. keep up the good work!
Many thanks for the tips! I appreciate.
Old 03-26-2011   #5
toulouse

Default temple feedback

I love this! My favorite part of creating 3d artwork is making the textures so I can really appreciate what you have done. Does this temple have an open roof. The bright lighting on the outer walls suggests that it does. If so, maybe a backdrop of sky would really set the scene off. As it is, your background is dark, but the outer part of the temple is very bright - visually confusing. If the temple is all enclosed, then the outer part of the temple should be darker, like the inner walls by the torches. That would give it a great mood. Very nice work though!
By the way, how did you get your images to view large? I have just started posting and all I am able to post is thumbnails.
toulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #6
Kerem

Quote:
Originally Posted by toulouse View Post
I love this! My favorite part of creating 3d artwork is making the textures so I can really appreciate what you have done. Does this temple have an open roof. The bright lighting on the outer walls suggests that it does. If so, maybe a backdrop of sky would really set the scene off. As it is, your background is dark, but the outer part of the temple is very bright - visually confusing. If the temple is all enclosed, then the outer part of the temple should be darker, like the inner walls by the torches. That would give it a great mood. Very nice work though!
By the way, how did you get your images to view large? I have just started posting and all I am able to post is thumbnails.
Hey, thank you very much for your kind words! Glad you liked my work. It has an open roof and an open sky would be good for the background as you said.

I think I should refine the lighting and hard corners of the mesh. Re-render it and add a sky background. Would be a better finish

I'm a bit timid about Maya... I always think I am not good on it enough. Also creating 3D from scratch is a laboring process. Since I'm coming from Bryce/Vue/Poser world, sometimes it feels tedious Still, creating everything by yourself is an awesome thing.

About full size thing. I uploaded that image to my web site and added it with Insert Image command button (appears above on message box) So site resized it for the sake of the forum and added full view option.

Thanks again for comments and encouragement...
Old 03-31-2011   #7
toulouse

Default Thanks Kerem

Thanks for telling me how to insert my pictures. I will try it. Can't wait to see your finished temple.
toulouse is offline   Reply With Quote