This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Image Challenge > 3D images

3D images Add your best 3D images: Maya, Max, Zbrush, etc

Old 08-16-2010   #21
Valbrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmortennissen@ofir.dk View Post
Well i have given up! (concerning this forum/competition)

Very often itīs the same winners, a few new names now and then.
But there is no chance for me to even have a chance:/

I know that the competition can help ideas to pup in your head, and make u improve Etc.
But there is no way I, nor many of the other few competitors, can beat any of the winners, which all look like they either work in the industry already, or are going to a school where they learn to do it.
(And that is a compliment:, telling u that your workīs are astonishing, and beautiful)

So now i am going to buy several dvdīs, more than I already have, and just take it from there, and when i have become good enough, well i am sure i wont need to compete here to get more?

Tbh.
I think that this forum does not help many improve so much, itīs a place where the same people compete, some times as i said, a new name pup op, but i noticed that many have left, and many have stopped trying, no wonder why.

Plz.
Do not take this too bad, i am just telling how i see it, and i have bin looking at this forum for a couple of years now, so i know that i am right.
But then again, nothing hurts like the truth...!

And therefore i am sure, that some folks will be Pi...īd and say "no you are so wrong etc etc". And some will even say. "Well how do u know if you have had a chance or not, when you havenīt posted so many times, and taken part in the competition"
But to you, i will just say, well i have tryīd but when i have seen that many of the same competitors have posted, and i knew i didīt stand a chance, so why even bother trying, when u know that what u have worked on, would have a larger chance winning something in your recycle bin?

But hey!
Now iīll buy some more of the dvdīs so i know the The Gnomon Workshop will bw happy, i will really learn something.

"So why write this" Well smart boy, u go figer that out
Why write a post like this ? Probably because you feel powerless and lost and you want to find out if you're the only one feeling that way. You say nothing hurts like the truth and you couldn't be more right so here' s one : if you compete only to win, there's a good chance you will loose. Why ? because the work you will submit will probably feel static, lifeless and emotionless.

I learned more with Gnomon dvds than I did with a 17K $ course in a private school and still continue to learn everyday. While these competions might not be helping you improve as much as you'd want, praticing and actually building something will, so no work is "only good for the trash bin" in my opinion and I dont see anything stopping you from asking feedback to help you improve.

I'm not saying you are completely wrong, I didn't notice it was often the same people winning and that wont stop me from competing. I've seen some really impressive work that didn't win so just being good technically might not even be enough. For all I care there also might be some favoritism amongst the judges toward certain artists and why would that be wrong ? It's perfectly normal in my opinion that certain artists reach the judges more than others with their work. The same apply to us so why would it be different. You might find that it sucks but it is a reality and if you are seriously considering having a carreer in digital arts it is something that you will face constantly. Buying tons of dvds and watching videos and stuff will definitely help you to become a good artist and might even get you a job in a nice studio but it wont help you become one of the greatest and/or stand out from the crowd. I dont even have a slim chance of winning since I consider that I trully suck and this will be the first competition that I feel confident enough to post my work but I still continue to pour my heart in it and the mistakes I make today will help me be better tomorrow. I also firmly believe that every person who won a competiton or have is own dvd here faced the same process/difficulties. Their work is not only technically impressive, they have a sense of style and composition as well and that something that takes time to master.

I mean, dont take it personally but it's not by complaining or with a negative attitude that your work will figure amonst the winners someday if that's your goal.
Valbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #22
leser21

Well, I would say that I also felt a little sad, mostly because of the last month results, but I have other reasons for that:

The first one is that you can use older images for new contests - in every single 3d contest around the net (besides this one), you CAN'T use old images or models, you must create everything from scratch. This was a huge trouble maker in two contests recently, one for the lord of the rings hardcore modeling challenge at cgsociety, where the winner used an old base mesh he has already done and on NVART accelerate, where someone did an awesome futuristic car, but other people of the forum noticed that he has posted this image 2 years ago on another cg forum - he was banned from the competition.

As someone already said, in my opinion, a montly challenge is all about having a tight schedule to create an awesome new image.

I can say that I was pretty sad, when I saw that a guy won the last montly contest using an image he has posted on cgsociety three years ago. And I lost tree nights of sleep trying to finish my image. Who can actually tell how many time someone spent on a image posted tree years ago on the internet?
For me, this is the worse part of gnomon montly challenges.

My second critic is that another winner just entered the competition on the last day, used his first post to showcase his image, and won the contest. That was also very sad. Every contest has especific rules of showing WIPs and not accepting last time entries.

But these are my suggestions. This "rules" would improve a lot the honesty of the gnomon contests.

And I would say: Gnomon material is pretty damm good. Most of my knowledge on 3d came from this DVDs, that's why I would like so much this montly contests to have these tree basic rules:
  1. No last day entries;
  2. You must show your WIPs;
  3. No previous work, images or models - everything must be new content made from scratch;
I too gave up on this after the last month result, and because i'm a character guy, so the theme factory don't attract me at all.

Maybe in the future, if the forum adopt these rules, or if another great theme appear, I will come back. But I'll wait untill the last hour to post my image - no wips also.

Untill then, I'm focusing on contest that uses this rules, because i think it's more honest.

And I also think it's hard to have some feedback here. I almost had to cry at my first competition for someone comment my work. On the second one, I had an awesome feedback - that's what foruns is all about : getting feedback and improving your work.

But, as I said, this is my opinion.

Best luck for everyone on this month contest,

Renan Leser.

Last edited by leser21; 08-17-2010 at 06:12 AM.
leser21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #23
mcl123147

I will say that I have an amazing concept in my head for this contest, but who knows if I will have the time to finish my vision. Wish me luck!super magnets
mcl123147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #24
JokerFrown

The factory theme didn't attract me at all either.

as for your rules suggestion leser21
I agree that the competitions at times seem unorganized.
_no allowing entries past the last day

_I wish they were more strict on the time they give us instead of giving us random dates
this also coincides with no previous work since it would be unfair for those who have to start a new project.

I'm not a big fan of other site's challenges specifically because you have to show your WIP
and submit your model + maps. I hate that
but I do not mind showing some clay renders if needed

also only allow final Entries to be submitted in the main Thread (this thread)
or have another thread dedicated to final entries so it is not to be mixed up with all the talking that ppl do
JokerFrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #25
DennisVR

I have to admit i've gotten a bit discouraged aswell seeing that it's so hard to even come close to winning anything. But i can't say the winners didn't deserve it, au contraire. But on the other hand the times i participated were very motivating to push my 3D abilities even further.

I think however Gnomon could bend this into a win-win situation. What if they gave a reduction on their training material for all participants ?
Old 08-18-2010   #26
LICAR

Awards Showcase

Default Factory

Done in Zbrush and Photoshop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	render04.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	5365  
LICAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #27
Insane Fox

Hi folks,
Someone earlier in this thread asked about the deadline.. I just wanted to be sure too.. Does it end at august 31? What a shame it would be to spend to much time on details and to miss the boat :-P
Insane Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #28
gaf

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Fox View Post
Hi folks,
Someone earlier in this thread asked about the deadline.. I just wanted to be sure too.. Does it end at august 31? What a shame it would be to spend to much time on details and to miss the boat :-P
yes, always end of the month is the deadline....which reminds me, i still have to finish my scene....want to make it very detailed, so i have a tonne of things to model!
gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #29
Alanise

Awards Showcase

I entered this contest 11 times and lost 7 times and still never won first and I would have to say it made me the better artist for it. I am not in the industry but trying to get into it and I am a self taught. I got very down a couple time because of no feedback and not winning but pressing on pays off I promise you! After a year of this I am just now starting to see some pay off by jobs and interest in my work from companies. If I won the first go around I would have not tried to improve and worked as hard as I have in the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmortennissen@ofir.dk View Post
Well i have given up! (concerning this forum/competition)

Very often itīs the same winners, a few new names now and then.
But there is no chance for me to even have a chance:/

I know that the competition can help ideas to pup in your head, and make u improve Etc.
But there is no way I, nor many of the other few competitors, can beat any of the winners, which all look like they either work in the industry already, or are going to a school where they learn to do it.
(And that is a compliment:, telling u that your workīs are astonishing, and beautiful)

So now i am going to buy several dvdīs, more than I already have, and just take it from there, and when i have become good enough, well i am sure i wont need to compete here to get more?

Tbh.
I think that this forum does not help many improve so much, itīs a place where the same people compete, some times as i said, a new name pup op, but i noticed that many have left, and many have stopped trying, no wonder why.

Plz.
Do not take this too bad, i am just telling how i see it, and i have bin looking at this forum for a couple of years now, so i know that i am right.
But then again, nothing hurts like the truth...!

And therefore i am sure, that some folks will be Pi...īd and say "no you are so wrong etc etc". And some will even say. "Well how do u know if you have had a chance or not, when you havenīt posted so many times, and taken part in the competition"
But to you, i will just say, well i have tryīd but when i have seen that many of the same competitors have posted, and i knew i didīt stand a chance, so why even bother trying, when u know that what u have worked on, would have a larger chance winning something in your recycle bin?

But hey!
Now iīll buy some more of the dvdīs so i know the The Gnomon Workshop will bw happy, i will really learn something.

"So why write this" Well smart boy, u go figer that out
Old 08-24-2010   #30
Insane Fox

Default The Factory

So there goes my entry. Since Im making a course in videogames , I did this as a game level look alike. Its under 12K Polys.
Done in 3DSmax, textures in photoshop. Some adjustments and details added in photoshop post-rendered. I hope you will like it.
I used the other jpg for reference. (found on the net)
Can't wait to learn zbrush
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Factory.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	5382   Click image for larger version

Name:	ref.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	5383  
Insane Fox is offline   Reply With Quote