This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Image Challenge > 3D images

3D images Add your best 3D images: Maya, Max, Zbrush, etc

Old 08-13-2010   #11
kimmortennissen@ofir.dk

Default ?

Well i have given up! (concerning this forum/competition)

Very often itīs the same winners, a few new names now and then.
But there is no chance for me to even have a chance:/

I know that the competition can help ideas to pup in your head, and make u improve Etc.
But there is no way I, nor many of the other few competitors, can beat any of the winners, which all look like they either work in the industry already, or are going to a school where they learn to do it.
(And that is a compliment:, telling u that your workīs are astonishing, and beautiful)

So now i am going to buy several dvdīs, more than I already have, and just take it from there, and when i have become good enough, well i am sure i wont need to compete here to get more?

Tbh.
I think that this forum does not help many improve so much, itīs a place where the same people compete, some times as i said, a new name pup op, but i noticed that many have left, and many have stopped trying, no wonder why.

Plz.
Do not take this too bad, i am just telling how i see it, and i have bin looking at this forum for a couple of years now, so i know that i am right.
But then again, nothing hurts like the truth...!

And therefore i am sure, that some folks will be Pi...īd and say "no you are so wrong etc etc". And some will even say. "Well how do u know if you have had a chance or not, when you havenīt posted so many times, and taken part in the competition"
But to you, i will just say, well i have tryīd but when i have seen that many of the same competitors have posted, and i knew i didīt stand a chance, so why even bother trying, when u know that what u have worked on, would have a larger chance winning something in your recycle bin?

But hey!
Now iīll buy some more of the dvdīs so i know the The Gnomon Workshop will bw happy, i will really learn something.

"So why write this" Well smart boy, u go figer that out
kimmortennissen@ofir.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #12
cyber1devil

Awards Showcase

to: kimmortennissen@ofir.dk

I'm often intimidated by posting when I see the competition, but as stated in the rules & guidelines: winners are often chosen by the ideas presented and not necessarily by how impressive the final render comes out.

I don't want this to become a battle about who's right
, I just hoped you'd understand that the fact that Gnomon has decided to post this challenge on a monthly basis for those of us who want to win free lectures without any charge to us, is amazing. I've won 3rd place once, and I'm no industry professional.

I hoped most of us were here to compete, share work, and get feedback from fellow artists. If winning is your only objective, consider my last statement about why we're here ( or at least i am ), before returning to a challenge.

Last edited by cyber1devil; 08-14-2010 at 11:36 AM.
cyber1devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #13
folex77

Default submission deadline

When is the deadline for submissions? I'm assuming it's the last day of the month, but I just wanted to check.
folex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #14
Cavematty

Awards Showcase

Default staying positive

to: kimmortennissen@ofir.dk

I can understand your frustration with the contest, but I really think you are missing the point. The idea isn't that it is a lottery, and everyone will get some if they enter enough times. The idea is that the contest helps motivate you to work on your skills. I entered several times without getting a place right back at the start of the contest. It was two years later, after a long hiatus from the forum and several thousand hours of drawing before I won a prize (despite naiively thinking I deserved a placing the very first time! haha). If you really want to be good at creating stunning images, and maybe even wish to be a professional one day, you have to work hard on your own time. Irrelevant of where you work or go to school, EVERY artist who is good, is ONLY good because they have put in the many hours of hard work and dedication. They've perseveered through the challenging disheartening times whether they had the encouragement of a contest win or not. I think that the Gnomon Workshop is doing an amazing thing by creating this content, and giving it away for free is above and beyond that. Please dont throw it back in their faces just because you are frustrated.

You only have eight posts, and I can only find a single entry into a contest - which I thought showed a lot of promise, but looked like you ran out of time to finish it. Alex is looking for artwork that shows a lot of effort went into it. He wants to reward hard work and good ideas, not just good images. If he can see you've really poured a lot of time into your piece and it is a personal best for you, you will be far more likely to be rewarded for it, here or anywhere else. Irrelevant of that, you should be comparing yourself to professional artists and holding yourself to a really high standard if you want to improve.

A famous artist once said "Everybody has 10,000 bad drawings in them. The sooner you get them out, the sooner you can start producing good drawings". I don't think he was exaggerating. You've really just got to put in the work, and put in the hours. I am still in the midst of those 10,000 bad drawings, but I am drawing every day of my life, and I love the opportunites contests like this offer to help keep perspective on my skills. Sometimes a failure is more motivating to get you back to the drawing table than a success is.

Getting grumpy and giving up wont help anybody, least of all yourself. Positivity and gratitude are far more empowering emotions, and I encourage anybody to foster them as a place to create from (difficult to do at times but so worth the effort).
Old 08-14-2010   #15
Playonward

I get what it is to be intimidated...I think we all do. In everything you can do, there is always going to be someone better, and when it comes to CG this is one of the best places to find LOTS of people better than you. I have not even gotten the nerve to enter one of these competitions yet, because I have had an "I'm not good enough" attitude for almost a decade. I am hoping that just getting up the guts to post some work will break down some of the walls I have put up, and I can start growing from there.

I will say that I have an amazing concept in my head for this contest, but who knows if I will have the time to finish my vision. Wish me luck!

Ryan
Playonward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #16
chris bielecki

Awards Showcase

Don't give up...???!!!! That makes no sense to me.

I work 12 hours a day as a commodities broker. I have always considered myself a traditional artist. I majored in fine art in college, but I've never even attempted to work fulltime as an artist. I, quite frankly, discovered Gnomon by accident around two years ago while searching for sculpture videos. John Brown is great, by the way. I found the few videos I purchased to be more informative than any of my semester long classes at University of Maryland. Since, I have discovered digital art and although I still sculpt, paint and do comic pencil work, I love expanding my artistic knowledge. I saw Alex at Comic Con a few weeks ago and thanked him for having this competition every month. The contests are here to help people become better. I've only done a couple digital pieces to date. Hopefully one day I'll get good at it, but it's fun no matter what.
chris bielecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #17
chalek

Awards Showcase

My entry
This time it is completely new image done for this contest. Very simple idea, composition and color scheme. Done in 3ds MAX, rendered with vray, no GI, only two lights, Textures mostly from 3DTotal collections, simple materials, and some postwork in Photoshop.

Click on the image to see highres version.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-15-2010   #18
gaf

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmortennissen@ofir.dk View Post
Well i have given up! (concerning this forum/competition)

Very often itīs the same winners, a few new names now and then.
But there is no chance for me to even have a chance:/

I know that the competition can help ideas to pup in your head, and make u improve Etc.
But there is no way I, nor many of the other few competitors, can beat any of the winners, which all look like they either work in the industry already, or are going to a school where they learn to do it.
(And that is a compliment:, telling u that your workīs are astonishing, and beautiful)

So now i am going to buy several dvdīs, more than I already have, and just take it from there, and when i have become good enough, well i am sure i wont need to compete here to get more?

Tbh.
I think that this forum does not help many improve so much, itīs a place where the same people compete, some times as i said, a new name pup op, but i noticed that many have left, and many have stopped trying, no wonder why.

Plz.
Do not take this too bad, i am just telling how i see it, and i have bin looking at this forum for a couple of years now, so i know that i am right.
But then again, nothing hurts like the truth...!

And therefore i am sure, that some folks will be Pi...īd and say "no you are so wrong etc etc". And some will even say. "Well how do u know if you have had a chance or not, when you havenīt posted so many times, and taken part in the competition"
But to you, i will just say, well i have tryīd but when i have seen that many of the same competitors have posted, and i knew i didīt stand a chance, so why even bother trying, when u know that what u have worked on, would have a larger chance winning something in your recycle bin?

But hey!
Now iīll buy some more of the dvdīs so i know the The Gnomon Workshop will bw happy, i will really learn something.

"So why write this" Well smart boy, u go figer that out
I see what you mean.
  • It is hard to receive creative criticism when you are competing
  • And it is down-hearting when you repeatedly lose with no feedback
  • Also, Gnomon has admitted that the system of winners is a bit odd, that the better ones win the tutorial DVDs, but thats how it is

BUT, almost everyone who has posted their work here has NOT won, but that's the way life is, i mean i have never gotten first place, but 2nd, 3rd or 4th, but the amount of entries i have submitted easily surpasses the times i have gotten a podium finish.

I do this competition almost every month, i do it for several reasons,
  1. To improve
  2. For the healthy competition
  3. And to simply increase my portfolio of work

And if i win i can add the Gnomon stamp of approval...if 'anyone' won it then it wouldn't mean as much.

TRUST me, i felt the same way (and i can almost guarantee that every artist has too) about 2 years ago, you just have to push through, and DON'T expect to win, just accept that you will probably lose, and be pleasantly surprised if you win.

Last edited by gaf; 08-15-2010 at 08:21 AM.
gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #19
ipranawake

Awards Showcase

Hey kimmortennissen@ofir.dk ........

I dont have to write long coz Gaf and others already have ..... Im competing siince 2007 and have won six or seven times ... all 3rd and 4th places ..... Im working in the industry already ... but we have a very very small industry in sri lanka ...... Never up to the standard you guys would think ..... And im doing "Lower third" motion graphics almost full time ..... thats nothing to do with 3D ....

This competition is my chance to learn and compose a portfolio .... (I have quit good collection already) ...... and my chance to learn from industry professionals (Through Gnomon DVDs, coz i cant think of affroding those DVDs with my current salary) ......

Keep up buddy .... You have only made 8 posts i think .... Why giving up so early???
ipranawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #20
kimmortennissen@ofir.dk

Default Hi all

To all that commented!

First a big thank you

And I am really sure that i mentioned, that it was not only the winning part that annoyed me (ofc iīd like to win, but also that i do not see many improve etc. But I can see that u have said something about that, and I must admit that there is some truth in what u say, and i see u got a point.

I wish there would be the same amount of feedback, when (Nabīs) like me post our work, like the feedback I just got from posting some of my frustrations, that would really be nice, and i am sure that the whole experience of posting here would change to the better

But thx again for putting op good comments, instead of throwing dirt back, that really tell a lot about u here on the forum (That u are nice guyīs and perhaps girls)

So what i want to end this with, is.

Use that "Niceness" to comment more, when nabīs post, and help them (Us) when u can see something to improve, like perhaps change the lighting, angle etc. I do know that u wont bite if we ask questions, but comments are so much nicer;P

Best wishes.

Kimmnissen

Btw. chalek

Awesome work there;P
kimmortennissen@ofir.dk is offline   Reply With Quote