This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Image Challenge > 3D images

3D images Add your best 3D images: Maya, Max, Zbrush, etc

Old 12-31-2006   #11
Dmitry Sh

Default Another one

big:
http://v3d.profit-production.ru/TEMP...nomonDec06.jpg
Dmitry Sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #12
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

Happy New Year everyone!

We will be looking over the entries this week and should have the winners posted by Friday. Thanks again for particpating, as once again the entries are really really great... So many cool interpretations of the theme! Oi... this is going to be a hard one to narrow down to four. So far I'm down to 29. heh.

-Alex
personal site: www.alexalvarez.com
follow me on twitter

Last edited by A.Alvarez; 01-02-2007 at 21:01 PM.
A.Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #13
Kelvin

Default Treehouse

Hi! Here I send my first attempt to this contest. I'm so amazed by the work of others that I don't expect to win anything. Though I'll never give up on Maya. (I started to try to learn it on my own for the past month, on a 6 hours per day basis).

Ok,.. I ran into different problems, and I hope somebody could shed some lights for me about them. I'm sending the final (Maya + photoshop), and the final render with mental ray, in which I circled regions where I had defenitly problems I could not get rid off, or get to work properly.

Final (Maya + photoshop) :

Render with problems :

Problem 1 : After making a nurbs plane and displacing it manually to create some hills, I wanted to make every snowflakes on the snow to reflect randomly (like stardust)... So the only thing I could come up with (my knowledge) was to use a bump map + specular map, hoping that the specularity would give the "stardust" effect I was searching for. It didn't work as good as I expected, though the snow around the snowman looks like it was blown with a snowblower (which I'm happy with for the moment). The texture swimming on the hill to the right makes the snow looks dirty, but my real problem is that I couldn't get some part of the bump map (on region 1) to show grainy, even though I used the "UV texture editor" to cover more region of the texture. I thought that the bump map was linked to the texture map (humm,... I have no texture file used as a shader, only a blinn, I think). And even if I gave a lot of space to those UV's, and desperatly cutting the plane in 3 separate parts (Nurb plane 1, 2 and 3), it made no real difference to Region 1. My first question is : aren't bump maps linked to UV's ?

Problem 2 : I wanted to create several light bulbs with different colors everywhere around the house and the stairs, though I got stuck trying to fix my first point light! I realized too late that Raytracing is not rendering "light glow", and if I wanted to create chrismas light bulbs, I had to render my scene with Raytrace, and then with Maya software engine. All we can see on this picture is some specularity of red from my point light. My question is : what's the best way to create several small light bulbs without getting a very hard scene to render?

Problem 3 : Even though I used a production level of anti-aliasing, the cracks between each plank of wood for the house didn't return fine distinctive ligns. (minimum sample "0", max "2"). Is it me that's too picky about a 800X600 render?

The tree and the branches for the arms of the snowman are made from extruded nurb circles (I don't know how to use PaintEffects).

In general, the thing I'm totally happy with is the sleigh. Texture created in photoshop (cloud + blur + noise).

Happy new year everyone!
Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #14
yogeshsherman

Here is entry for the challange from my side.I modelled,textered,lit and rendered this images in maya no post process or touchup is used for this image.snow was also done with maya's particles.No GI solution is used.I wanted to give it a different look sort of partly toony or partly magical.soon i'll be coming up with the full animation.
Thanks and Happy new year to all

Last edited by yogeshsherman; 01-04-2007 at 14:23 PM.
yogeshsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #15
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

Default December Winners Announced!

Ok, so here are the winners!
Really amazing entries this time around, and with the holiday spirit and all, well... we couldn't just narrow it down to four.
Thanks to everyone who participated! We really enjoyed seeing your interpretations of this month's theme.

The winners will be contacted via the email used to sign up on the forum.
Happy New Year everyone...

-Alex
ps. great image yogeshsherman...
Regrettably we grab the images from the forum to begin reviewing them on the last day of the month (i.e. December 31st for this contest).
personal site: www.alexalvarez.com
follow me on twitter
A.Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007   #16
yogeshsherman

Thanks alex for your supporting comments,but i really don't know when the contest is going to end as I suppose it was not mention on the starting page.But I try to be punctual next time(but one more thing all the winners are chosen from only 2d category,atleast consolation prize for me lol)
waiting for the announcement of next challenge.I need those DVD's to improve my work.

Thanks again
Yogesh Sherman
yogeshsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #17
attman

Wow, really nice entries on this contest! Definetely well chosen the winners.
attman is offline   Reply With Quote