This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Image Challenge > 3D images

3D images Add your best 3D images: Maya, Max, Zbrush, etc

Old 07-11-2008   #71
iJavaJoe

Default Lighting

The lighting in my piece was an attempt to be "realistic". In space most often there is a single VERY harsh light source, a star or the sun. Shadows would be very deep as well as VERY dark. The source used in my piece was a single "bulb type light" from a large distance set very intense, to simulate a single point source "sun".

Take a look at shots from the space shuttle; Even some of those have reflected light from the shuttle itself. Watch "2001 a space odyssey" they have "some" of the best lighting for realistic star light (they do "cheat" in a number of places ). "Star Wars", "Star Trek" and a good bit of "space art" is not even close to realistic space lighting.

Remember space is "inky" black, shadows are pitch black, unlit surfaces are mostly Black unless there is a reflection off another surface or there is another light source.
iJavaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #72
neuromancer2

Ok, well, take my critique however you want. I highly doubt we will be getting a crit from Alex since he is a very busy man, although that would be awsome. I just wanted to try and help you out by giving you a constructive critique. I hope it helped.

And that's a great idea, look at as many lighting references as you you can! As a matter o' fact I'm in the middle of gathering references for "The Bridge".

Good luck!
neuromancer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #73
iJavaJoe

I do appreciate the "Crit". I also wantted you to kinda get an idea where the lighting came from (my thoughts). Good luck with the bridge. I've been drawing thumb nails all day to generate my ideas. I'll do ref shots once the idea stage is firmed up... Great luck!.
iJavaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #74
pitipongp

Awards Showcase

Smile

Hi all!
Thank you very much for giving me 5 DVDs I really appreciate that! and congratulation to all winners, you guys made me excited to see those works.
However, it's a good start for me, hope to join the competition again next time!
pitipongp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #75
Squirrel Emperor

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo.sa View Post
As for what i read here this month about posted works that were done months or even years ago... well, as unfair it may seem to some, the contest rules don't specify anything about it:

"... Simply post examples of what you consider to be your most accomplished work in the forum thread."
If you read further down in that thread, Alex says, "For this contest it is perfectly fine to use work you already have... there are no expectations of people to produce new images exclusively for the contest."

It's post #5.
Squirrel Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #76
ricardo.sa

Awards Showcase

Default Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel Emperor View Post
If you read further down in that thread, Alex says, "For this contest it is perfectly fine to use work you already have... there are no expectations of people to produce new images exclusively for the contest."

It's post #5.
Thanks Squirrel, as i read the first sentence i didn't continue reading the post because it said enough for me, but that sentence tells it all...
ricardo.sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #77
genroxbro

Default Last Page

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the Last Page problem, I cant see how I get the very last page so be special. In you case all the pages generated by the last topic will have the same Last Page footer?

I will try the Div solution and see how it works. But anyway it would be a nice feature to have Page Frames anchored to each other and resizing after contents.

-cpede