This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 05-24-2010   #1
dr01d

Default breaking free from design

Hey guys,

Have been a lurker for some time now and am interested in finally breaking free from graphic and web design and getting into games or film which I have had an interest in for over 25 years.

I have decided to spend the next 6 months putting together a game/film art portfolio as most of my 3d work has been design related.

If I am aiming to work somewhere like....weta, who work with maya. Should I learn maya whilst putting together my portfolio? It would look better on the application and I could hit the ground running so to speak, but the sacrifice to the time in putting together the folio would suffer because of the learning curve.

I am very fluent in lightwave, modo and zbrush primarily, amongst a handful of other apps.

I think I know the answer to this, but is it better investing time into the folio using whatever techniques/apps neccessary or learn maya and industry techniques (looking better on paper) and spending less time on the folio?

I ask this as I have seen online applications where I would look bad with no formal training/experience but would probably nail it with the folio.

thanx in advance
dr01d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #2
Amonite

This is just what I have picked up from lectures at PAX, LOGIN, Escape Studio and others (it could be wrong, but it makes sense):

It is better to focus on the portfolio, provided the pieces are of the same type/genre/feel that the company you are targeting produces. A great portfolio/demo reel is better than knowing the specific pipeline or product of the company (although that cannot hurt, at all), as 'software changes, the fundamentals of art do not'
Amonite is offline   Reply With Quote