This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 02-09-2010   #1
Eliriel

Default giant desert scorpion

Hi guys! I'm new here and I've got a little something I'm working on right now in between watching video tutorials and practicing speed painting concept art in Photoshop CS4. I don't have much experience with concept art or speed-painting - I'm pretty much just starting out trying to go about it the "right" way, but I want to grow more in this and the only way is to practice.

So here's the idea I want to see come into fruition... a giant scorpion attacking village warriors in the desert.

I know my decision to add color was definitely premature at this stage, I probably should have worked more on establishing value in gray-scale and other background/foreground elements, so in the future I'll proceed without color.

I'll include my resource picture, a color version and the gray-scale.

I would really appreciate any constructive feedback or advice (please be thorough!)... or perhaps if you have some useful links to videos or sites which you have used in your learning process. My first priority is grasping a good understanding of the basic techniques of lighting and composition, and learning how to add realistic details afterward. I really love the sketchy look of some of the concept art out there, the way some of it has an unfinished feel yet certain parts are highly detailed, and I want to learn to achieve that by starting using proven methods.

Resource;

Grayscale:

Color:

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Eliriel; 02-09-2010 at 23:59 PM.
Eliriel is offline   Reply With Quote