This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 03-25-2018   #1
AndrewJSmith

Visit AndrewJSmith's Twitter Visit AndrewJSmith's LinkedIn Visit AndrewJSmith's artstation
Default The Evil Within: The Keeper [Stylized] - Need Criticism

Hello!

I'm currently creating a stylized version of "The Keeper" from a game called The Evil Within. My overall goal is to produce a polished model that I can use in a beginner tutorial series that teaches the basics of Blender 3D.

I've attached an image so you know what I mean when I say "polished" (art work by Gleb Alexandrov). By polished, I mean that the textures don't look flat, brightness/contrast are balanced, and shaders (reflections, gloss, etc) are noticeable, but not overbearing:

Name:  Gleb Examples.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  422.0 KB

Essentially I want to produce something that would catch your eye; something of high-enough quality to convince you to follow a tutorial series on how to make it.

Primarily, I'm a 3D modeler, so I'm trying to improve my texturing and shading skills via this project as well.

I'd love to get feedback on what you think is wrong with my model, may it be with the textures, shaders, lighting, proportions, etc. and what you think I can do to improve.

My project is in the look development stage. I'm experimenting with different textures, shaders, and lights.

It's still a work in progress (Some UVs arent properly aligned yet, etc), but what do you think - any suggestions or criticisms? I'm using Blender's Cycles render engine along with the Principled BSDF shader.

Name:  Andrew Smith Keeper New Update.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  307.2 KB

I've been experimenting with using small small repeatable texture maps to improve the look of my model. I did this with the fabric stitching of the Keeper's shirt as well as the barbed wire.

However, I'm still trying to figure out how to make the barbed wire look better. I'd like it to look more like real rusted barbed barbed wire, but I don't think it looks good enough yet. I may have to remodel some elements of the barbed wire so it looks sharper, rather than soft and rounded (I was going for a more cartoonish look, but I don't think it works).
AndrewJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote