This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 04-08-2015   #1
Dakari

Default Introduction to Substance Painter with Christophe Desse

Hello,
First of all "bravo" for this tuto which really looks great !

Are material/smart materials needed for the tuto included ?
Because I suppose that he does not use those supplied with Substance painter... and without the same tools we can only watch and not work on it.

And scuse for my english.
Dakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #2
surfengine

Awards Showcase

in the introduction chapter it is mentioned that substance painter includes plenty of materials. However at the same time he is demonstrating a website where you can purchase some more.
surfengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #3
Dakari

Thank for your reply.
Actually he demonstrates the pawel's materials and tells that it's not used. However in the first "car texturing" video, he use it directly... then he use an "orange paint" material, that's not included in substance painter.

I think that it would be more sensible to make a video of training by using of the resources which are supplied.
Or not to say that a thing is not used while it is it. It harms in the credibility.
So, after purchase this dvd (because it's really good!) i need to purshase other item, fortunately not excessive. I hope not to need to buy other resources.

I hope this information will help some of you.
Old 04-10-2015   #4
surfengine

Awards Showcase

sounds like you watched the entire video and perhaps used substance painter. could you tell me if only the substance painter is needed? At $150 it seems like a fare price, but when looking closer there are 2 other applications that are probably required for a total of $450.
Are those other 2 applications needed?
surfengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015   #5
Dakari

Yes, Substance Painter is the most used (but you need to buy the pawel's substances (2.5$) and to create other ones [easy made]). I have not already watch all the video in details so maybe there's other things....
Maya and Redshift are used just for rendering.
If you just want to learn Substance Painter and render in marmoset or other, you don't need maya and redshift for this tutorial.
Finally, you need to know that this tutorial works on high poly meshes and teaches you (very briefly) how to bake World space normal map, ID, occlusion, curvature, position and thickness (all needed except Normal mal) within substance painter.
This is NOT on how to bake normals for a low poly mesh, you need to know your basics about that, because this is not a training dvd for that point.

And excuse for my english, i'm french.