This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Image Challenge > 2D images

2D images Display your best 2D work: traditional or digital

Old 02-23-2007   #81
RicardoGarces

Hi Nick!

Yes there is a quick way to match the perspective. You can draw the perspective lines over the matte paint on Photoshop, then import the image into your 3D application and adjust the view making sure the usual application grid matches the perspective lines on your image.

After that you can either replace the image with another one without the lines and render the geometry with the image as background, or you can render the geometry alone and blend it in photoshop ( better process ).

At some point you might create a camera in the position you will need for rendering the image, if you plan to keep adding detail to your object, not to mention that if you have a side chosen, you don't need detail where the camera doesn't reach.

The size you have chosen for the image, doesn't help you much for a detailed outpost, but you could for instance make the outpost tower higher and it would come out from the tree line some more, making it more visible.
Or you can make a clearing around the outpost, so the house would be better seen.

Mark Goerner is a Master! seeing him sketching interior spaces makes you drool
It was one of the first DVD's I bought from Gnomon. The other was Dusso v2.
But heck, I recommend all of them.
RicardoGarces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #82
Suirebit

i also recommend dylan cole

about perspective...there is a tool in cs which can help you sometimes...vanishing point

And i agree with Ricardo's comments, Nick! The size/scale/perspective of the outpost simply doesn't do it justice

Last edited by Suirebit; 02-24-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Suirebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #83
space-sprayer

ok thanks guys
Yea I tried to be very careful with my perspective when doing the matte painting. I always have my perspective grid as my top layer that I can keep flicking on and off to check myself. I will have to try importing the photoshop image into my 3D app, coz i hadn't thought of that. Im very new to 3D so my skills are lacking, but i'll give it a try.
The main thing I was worried about with the outpost was that it was going to be a major selling point on the scale of the landscape, which I wanted to seem massive, but I like the idea about making it taller or clearing around it. I might do more work on the flames too so that it becomes more of a focal point. I wasn't sure exactly what the deadline date was, and I can't work on it over this weekend as Im visiting family, so i wanted to make sure I had it in on time. Hopefully I can do some more work on it on Monday and still submit it in time

Dusso and Mark Goerner are two dvds that I really really want! They look awesome! I have the Dylan Cole dvds and one by Feng Zhu, and the quality of those is outstanding! I hope I can keep adding to that over time.

Does anyone know what day the dealine is? I saw the 28th mentioned, can anyone confirm that? Also, when do the contest results usually get released?

Thanks for the help guys, its very much appreciated!

Nick
space-sprayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #84
Suirebit

Nick, the deadline is at the end of the month so yes, 28.

Try focusing the picture onto the outpost, right now it's not the subject of the image.
Suirebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #85
space-sprayer

Thanks Suirebit. I think you hit the nail on the head there. I just need to make it more of a focal point. At the moment it looks like an add on, not the centre of interest. I will definitely do some alterations for the deadline.... man i forgot February was so short...

Nick
space-sprayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #86
Mr-Joe

Good entries for this contest, My favorites so far are from ,(in no particular order) Jouey , Waugh, squibbit, Zemplinski .

Here is my entry, Painter IX and a little Photoshop:

"Somewhere in the middle of Antarctica, Private Don Huan abandons his post in an effort to recapture some of his sanity and find a little excitement."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tag2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	440

Direct Link to image:
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6176/tagbm3.jpg

Lemme know what you think?

Last edited by Mr-Joe; 02-24-2007 at 20:34 PM.
Mr-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #87
vahe

Default lonely outpost

Alot of good stuff in here. Good luck everyone. Here is my entry.

Last edited by vahe; 02-26-2007 at 20:03 PM.
vahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #88
junthi

Looks like this is becoming a matte painting contest
junthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #89
xzacto

Default the Lonely outpost

I apologize for my poor entry, I have been severely humbled by the other entries. but I figured I would post it anyway. yes. it's an outhouse named the Outpost.

forgive the eyesore.
xzacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #90
rafater

Default Wasted time

Wow!!! Very good entries for this month...
This is my first matte painting. I hope you like it and... good luck everyone!!!

Last edited by rafater; 02-25-2007 at 16:19 PM.
rafater is offline   Reply With Quote