This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Work-in-Progress (WIPs)

Work-in-Progress (WIPs) Working on your submission for the monthly contests and want to share your progress/process and get some feedback? This is the place to do it.

Old 04-05-2011   #1
rocneasta

Awards Showcase

Default Lowering the poly count

Yesterday i wanted to make a wire fence - by creating a plane, adding a material with opacity on it, small bump to make it more 3D like and it didn't look as real as i wanted it to be.

then i made a 3D model out of it, and it's huge (turboosmooth yields on 1 iterations 7mil poly's, and on 2 iterations 30 mil polys)

it's 3D but not the kind my PC can handle along side other models when it comes render time.

Any chance i might get 60% of a visual effect of a 3Dmodel fence if i bake it to get a normal (is that possible if i apply it with a opacity map), add opacity map and apply everything to a plane? Should the baking object then be a thin box?

on another note, i wanna add a toon shader (not at all yet good with shaders) but i want to have that type of look and feel - will the shader understand this, baked material added to a plane, or should i stick with my 30 min geometry that my pc won't handle come render time

cheers
rocneasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #2
rocneasta

Awards Showcase

added rendered model just as an example of what i was referring to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fence_detail.jpg (221.2 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg fence.jpg (231.2 KB, 205 views)
rocneasta is offline   Reply With Quote