This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > Portfolio Review

Portfolio Review Share your work for constructive criticism from us and the community

Old 08-09-2010   #1
HaYaTo

Awards Showcase

Default Mech[A]rtworks need some fixes & reviews

I always love Japanese style of Robot (or we can called it Mecha) so much.
I've been doing a collection of various manga/anime about it 'till now.

So, here's the fan art about Mecha and 'they' need some fix or reviews from everyone that cares about robot like Josh Nissi from GW.
I also would like to know from you guys, are Japanese Mechas stand a chance if they compare to Transformers in artistic way?

Thanks for viewing and also thanks in advance for reviews and fixes...

[I]and that's the way this signature born...[/I]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HaYaTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #2
Nathanzk

Whoa, that's really impressive. You should be proud of your work, the quality is great, keep up I just became a member, so I hope I can improve in digital painting and hope someday I'll reach your skills haha
Nathanzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #3
shrunkendesigner

Yeah! Awesome work.

I think your attention to detail is amazing and the form of the mechoids are incredible. I like the redering style you have used and the different angles and shots look great.

...Transformers vs Mechs in an artistic sense? Hmmm, I prefer the Japanese Mechs over the transformers to be honest. I never liked the Transformers as a kid really, I think I missed the boat on that one, but I have always liked Japanese anime... like Patlabor and Ghost in the Shell... plus the game Front Mission 3 was awesome.
[/FONT]
shrunkendesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #4
jackm94

Default Nice work :)

just read you post you have very good work. i love mecha anime to . i think transformers are more open like have more wires and mechanical parts hanging about whereas mecha is very elagant and nice to look at :P i only wish i could draw as good as you . if you could give me some advice on things like initiall sketching or poses anything really just dont know where to start. Oh and as for a fix i only noticed one thing on the first drawing you could make the nozel from the barrel shorrter or none at all. in my opinion that would look better. anyways this is my first comment ever too feel privilaged :P
good luck jack.
jackm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #5
tallman

Awards Showcase

Great work!

My Crit:
Great "Impressionistic" brushwork. (By the way, what program/ brush did you use to do the top one?)
The lighing of the top one is very strong, very complimentary to the forms being shown. The contrast on the bottom most one (in color) on the other hand, I find to be a bit harsh (could use more tonal variation in the smoke and across the body of the mech.)
Overall, I think you have some serious painting skills. However I would pay more attention to form language in the design of your mechs (how knees relate to shoulders, the head relates to the whole body, etc...) In other words, I find repetition of forms in the design of machines to be very pleasing, creating a very cohesive "designed" look.
Keep up the amazing work though! I wish i could paint like you...

Cheers, Ryan
tallman is offline   Reply With Quote