This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Image Challenge > 2D images

2D images Display your best 2D work: traditional or digital

Old 07-02-2009   #111
Homelet

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidosaurio View Post
midnight for what time zone?
also, do you know if this applies even when the contest theme is posted late?
The contest theme is always posted late, as we usually have it only after the preceding contest is judged and the winners announced...

The deadline wasn't very clear back a few months ago, until Alex posted a countdown indicating clearly and precisely the remaining time to each and every contestant anywhere they be on the world.
I don't know why there's no countdown this month, but, back in the old times, some entries even happened to be accepted several days after the month began.

That's pretty cool when you're late, be it the fault of your timezone or simply because you were pushing the detail and didn't see the clock, or because Michael Jackson died and you've spent the 5 last days crying the Niagara falls out, or even when the work is done but the connexion is down and you just can't post, and you throw your computer through the window and must find another one, losing even more time...

But I think the countdown is clearly the best option, as this kind of posts can be found on just any contest thread that didn't have one, so please, Mr Alvarez, give us the countdown back, and give our nerve a rest so that the ones here who still have the smallest bit of sanity in their twisted brains don't lose it !!!

Or is it that the countdown disappears when it reaches 00:00:00 and that's why I didn't see it this month ? No ! It can't be ! Pleaaase give us a sign !!!!!!
Old 07-02-2009   #112
Homelet

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_irons View Post
If you do a google image search you can see Manet doing this with the reflection of the barmaid in "A Bar at the Folies Bergere", and if it's good enough for Manet I'm not going to argue.
Wow, I wouldn't even have guessed there was a mirror behind her, and am still not sure about it... I'm far from being an expert in reflections, though, and recognise mine are generally far from being perfect or even just right !

No offense at all for Manet !
Old 07-02-2009   #113
bferrante

Default I do see the issues with my reflections

I cant tell you guys enough how much I appreciate the feedback. I can tell you that it was my intention to have the reflection line up. There are many things that I need to continue to work on and that is the roses and better detail in the reflected image. The roses are turning out to be the biggest pain in the butt as well as lining up the reflection. I only wish my work could be on the same level of some of the artists on this site let alone a master like that. Thanks again for the feedback next month I'm definitely going to put an ongoing update in the W.I.P. section so I can benefit from any wisdom I can. I would pick anyone's brains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gothic beauty_004.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	3350  
bferrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #114
MattVG

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewati View Post
usually they announce when the contest is closed though, don't they? so is it open till then?
They used to have a countdown timer and they'd announce that the pieces had been collected and that the contest is closed, but hey haven't for the last few months. What I said before is based on the contest rules. It's what I go by when I submit my own entries in the contests. I don't know if it's correct but it doesn't conflict with the rules so it must be close to the truth

EDIT: Erm... right. Homelet already answered.

Last edited by MattVG; 07-02-2009 at 16:06 PM.
MattVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #115
Atriace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraal View Post
what exactly are you saying in that piece the reflection matches up
If you look closer, I think that you'll agree that Monet's piece doesn't match up. I'll try to demonstrate: Analysis of Monet

As you can see, if the reflection is to be believed, she'd have to be shifted right in the picture.

bferranti had the same issue: Analysis of bferranti's Gothic Beauty

Thankfully, he seems to have corrected that. Good work, bferranti! Keep it up.

Last edited by Atriace; 07-02-2009 at 16:22 PM.
Atriace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #116
Eaglecaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelet View Post
The contest theme is always posted late, as we usually have it only after the preceding contest is judged and the winners announced...

The deadline wasn't very clear back a few months ago, until Alex posted a countdown indicating clearly and precisely the remaining time to each and every contestant anywhere they be on the world.
I don't know why there's no countdown this month, but, back in the old times, some entries even happened to be accepted several days after the month began.

That's pretty cool when you're late, be it the fault of your timezone or simply because you were pushing the detail and didn't see the clock, or because Michael Jackson died and you've spent the 5 last days crying the Niagara falls out, or even when the work is done but the connexion is down and you just can't post, and you throw your computer through the window and must find another one, losing even more time...

But I think the countdown is clearly the best option, as this kind of posts can be found on just any contest thread that didn't have one, so please, Mr Alvarez, give us the countdown back, and give our nerve a rest so that the ones here who still have the smallest bit of sanity in their twisted brains don't lose it !!!

Or is it that the countdown disappears when it reaches 00:00:00 and that's why I didn't see it this month ? No ! It can't be ! Pleaaase give us a sign !!!!!!
Well said. It's great, if for whatever reason you were held up finishing your work...however, those who've posted within the monthly deadline may have benefitted from that extra time too.
Eaglecaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #117
henes

henes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #118
Rezeroth

Here's my entry. Some Gothic bug-ish lady.

My Blog

Last edited by Rezeroth; 07-04-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Rezeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009   #119
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

Hi all...

yeah, the timer was cool, dunno why our forum admin stopped adding it, but I will bug him about it.

There were a lot of cool submissions, definitely was difficult to judge. papaninja, your entry is awesome, but it wasn't picked because she just isn't gothic... more 50's betty page. anyhoo, here are the winners for Gothic Beauty!

-Alex
personal site: www.alexalvarez.com
follow me on twitter
A.Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009   #120
MattVG

Awards Showcase

Congratulations winners! See you all next contest
MattVG is offline   Reply With Quote