This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding Subscription, tutorials, etc.

Old 01-13-2016   #1
Storm Vanguard

Default Where to start with pencilling tutorials

Hi guys!

I'm trying to step up my comic book skills, particularly about pencilling and inking. i can already create decent lineart if we talk anatomy and perspective thanks to school, but i'm in serious need of help regarding rendering effectively materials and muscles, textures, and generally create true high quality pencils. I can draw a human body right for exhample, but i just don't seem to understand how to really flesh it out with lots of details. my work looks a lot like simple mangas or an Adobe Illustrator basic lineart drawing, all lines zero texture. from what i can see, the tutorials here at gnomon are just what i need for this job but i can't decide where to begin. Should i start with the pencilling tutorial by Stephen Platt, or go even more backwards and refine the basics with the Dynamic Figure Drawing series by David Finch first, just to be sure i can take the more advanced ones?

thank you in advance for the help!
Storm Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016   #2
F_caire
Senor Caire

Hello,

For rendering we recommend Scott Robertson's series on rendering matte surfaces. For a comic book style approach towards human anatomy you should first watch the dynamic figure drawing series from David Finch, followed by our numerous other comic book titles from Stephen Platt, Alvin Lee, or Joe Benetiz. Our anatomy series with Charles Hu would also give a better fundamental understanding of muscle structure and how they interact. All of these titles and more are available through our online subscription. Thank you and please let us know if there is anything else you need assistance with.
F_caire is offline   Reply With Quote