This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Image Challenge > 3D images

3D images Add your best 3D images: Maya, Max, Zbrush, etc

Old 03-01-2007   #31
labuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelvenom View Post
Cool image labuzz. About how long did it take messiah to render this scene? The metal on the outpost stands out nicely against the stones. Any plans on adding a few weathering marks? Just curious. I haven't seen too many messiah renders, outside of Taron's work. A very powerful, yet mysterious program, it seems.

Anyway, dynamic composition and vibrant colors. Good work.
Tks for the comment pixelvenom,
The longest rendering was the mid pass, around 1 hour ( 4 gi samples, 1 bounce, AA lvl 4 ). There's 3 passes in the image ( near, mid and far). Only procedurals are used for texturing...And there' a bunch of them...But not enough I think for this resolution.
There nothing mysterious about messiah. I am using the soft very rarely and as you can see its possible to output something interesting quickly. Its true that messiah really needs a better documentation and more exposure. To be honest I really like the soft when I am an artist but I have no use for it as a professional ( critical features needed....). Give it a try.

I like your image too but I think that the right side should be more easy to read and is lacking some depth ( maybe the rocks integration ).
labuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #32
elementa

Default Mine

Here is my entry, probibly too late but my internet was down last night, oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LonelyOutpost.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	483  
elementa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #33
pixelvenom

labuzz,

Thanks for sharing the specs.

Actually I did try messiah once, but (cough) I thought the render nodes and rendering in general was waaaay to complicated. I'm probably just too lazy but I much prefer lightwave and modo's more direct rendering method. Just seems a bit more intuitive. But, again, that's just me. Obviously there are people who use Messiah well.

Also, thank you for commenting on my terrible image. In retrospect, I probably should have gone a much different route. Floating asteroids and cube cities aren't exactly revolutionary 3d work. I depended too much on the cubical skinning feature and procedural materials of ZBrush. I need to be more ambitious like yourself and try a real 3d scene.

Anyway, here's to you winning some DVD's and see you in the next month's challenge hopefully. Maybe join the fantasy matte painting legions.

nplum,

Nicely understated architectural modeling, and atmosphere. The scale of the house seems a bit small, though. Since it's the main object of your image, I think you should make it looming, put it right in the camera's face and go crazy with the brick and wood textures. Also The crescent moon seems too white, or missing a texture. It overpowers everything else, including to spooky house.

Even so, nice work on evoking a horror movie feel. See you in the March challenge.

elementa,

Well balanced composition, and a very sparse, lonely temple. I think the contrast is a bit too uniform throughout, however. The moon and clouds in the background share almost the same values as the outpost in the foreground. Bringing the black from the midground mountains to the front might help. Also, the flag seems too faint. Maybe add an emblem or stripes to make it stand out more, and carve in some details into the tiles on the roof, to emphasize the. . . uh . . . stoniness of the material.

Excellent start though. I've been told too many times that values and composition are the most important aspect of any work, and you absolutely have a solid composition down.

Cheers all. See you in March.

Last edited by pixelvenom; 03-01-2007 at 11:49 AM.
pixelvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #34
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

Hi all...

wow! So many cool entries yet again! Thanks to all for participating.... We will make our selections in the coming days and will post the winners by Monday.

-Alex
personal site: www.alexalvarez.com
follow me on twitter
A.Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #35
labuzz

Exactly Pixelvenom,
you should not focus your work just on one "procedural workflow " , in the end if you havn t a very clear idea from the start it can become messy . The most 'important is what you do with the techniques, specific features...
Anyway, I really enjoy those "little" contests ( I have not a lots of free time but here thats just enough to do something ) and I will continue to contribute I think . BTW I think that the separation between 2d and 3d is a good thing for the future.

More comments on my work here if you want to read :
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...?f=92&t=469123

And if you want to start learning messiah you should read this doc from Thomas ( third party plug maker ):
http://www.screen-dream.de/AoN_Download.htm
It will help you a lot for the rendering side of messiah .

Hey Alex what about a messiah DVD ? It would be great! I know it is an undeground package but it can be a success with the right topic and Taron!
Old 03-03-2007   #36
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

labuzz... well, Taron is a friend of mine and we have discussed it. He has just completed his first DVD (lightwave), but he is considering Messiah of course... just stay tuned.

-Alex
follow me on twitter
Old 03-05-2007   #37
labuzz

Sounds really cool alex! Tks for the info
Old 03-05-2007   #38
A.Alvarez
Senor Alex

Default February Winners!

Hello all...

So here are the winners for the Lonely Outpost!

There were so many super cool images, but in the end these six entries stood out for their impact, atmosphere, clarity of vision and, of course, interpretation. The effort put forth by everyone here is truly inspiring.

Thanks to all!
-Alex
follow me on twitter
Old 03-05-2007   #39
pixelvenom

Default Messiah DVD Seconded

Hey labuzz.

I'm probably bonkers, (or manic) and entirely uncomfortable and unskilled in pretty much everything related to CG but, I bought that dang messiah, figuring, eh, who cares, maybe something will click.

So, Alex and Taron, PLEASE make some Messiah rendering DVD's. Maybe make one of those 8 hour epics and cover the making of the Neckling or People Projects. I know some of Taron's Project files are included in Messiah, and he's posted some mini tutorials on Cgtalk and Pixologic, but, his IQ is soooo high, reading his explanations is like reading a Particle Physicist discuss differential equations in M theory. After rereading the first sentence a dozen times, I realize, the only way it will make any sense is to WATCH Taron work.

So, labuzz, thanks for the advice, and getting me into Messiah. All my subsequent feeble attempts and entries are all your fault I'll just start posting much smaller, to obscure some of the suckiness.

Anyhoo, congratulations to all the winners. You freaky talented lucky sods and or sodettes!

Last edited by pixelvenom; 03-05-2007 at 12:13 PM.
pixelvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #40
ipranawake

Awards Showcase

Unhappy The ignorrent one

First of all ..... Congragz for all the winners..... Guys .... You all ROCKS men ....

And hey Alex!! ..... You guys are so lcky bunch to organize such a contest .... which gets such high skilled entries ...... Thanks again for everyone to showing me how much far I have to go .......

Im busy with the forums already .... but im very humbally asking anyone who can explain briefly ...in point form may be ..... how to achive such a clear sharp and well compositted ...and detailed.. Final image......

Do I have to give my 3D image output a Photoshop touch ???
ipranawake is offline   Reply With Quote