This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Image Challenge > 3D images

3D images Add your best 3D images: Maya, Max, Zbrush, etc

Old 01-16-2009   #31
buzz001

Talking

I'm already sketching my model, can't wait to start this contest.
Old 01-16-2009   #32
JokerFrown

@DJZ no one is criticizing it
were just expressing ideas to make it more fun and challenging you dont have to get mad
JokerFrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #33
pricetag

Awards Showcase

Thanks JohnAnthony.

I may try to do a version with some smoke and flying sparks. Always love to hear positive feedback
pricetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #34
blackphoenix

I think it's OK to use an old work if it fits the theme. At least, if you have some base mesh, you can always use it.

In fact, all entries from last November, "Unmanned War Machine" is qualified for this month because they're all "Battle Worn".

We always have a choice.

As for me, I go for a new image. It's a bit more challenging and its fun.

I'll be posting my work next week.
blackphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #35
JokerFrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackphoenix View Post
I think it's OK to use an old work if it fits the theme. At least, if you have some base mesh, you can always use it.

In fact, all entries from last November, "Unmanned War Machine" is qualified for this month because they're all "Battle Worn".

We always have a choice.

As for me, I go for a new image. It's a bit more challenging and its fun.

I'll be posting my work next week.
well almost everyone uses base meshes I dont think that counts
Old 01-16-2009   #36
neuromancer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrkennedy View Post
I love this contest. It inspires me and focuses my self-improvement efforts. I've spent over 100 hours creating entries for past months challenges. If something fits once in while that's already done, I think that's very lucky.

Looks to me you're quite the pro...I think a newb like me deserves these videos more than you

All kidding aside...thought your image looked familiar, it's from America's Army artwork you did. Personally, I would have chosen one of the other one's to submit that I really like, the bullets and ammo magazine on the ground don't seem to have any shadows in this one.

I'm curious though, do you use Poser, I know some professionals do?

This may seem strange to ask, but are you Sam Kennedy? This contest is known to attract plagiarists and the like...
neuromancer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #37
JohnAnthony

The 2d contest in the other thread is looking excellent. SamrKennedy also has a piece in that one that I thinks is great. THere's no question in my mind about hs picture making or painting skills...I understand the controversy aobut the rules. I do wish there was a Gnomon speed modeling/ texturing competiiton, like on some of the other sites. I think everyone benefites in art school from short poses as well as long poses and it's great exercise.

But it's nice to see some artwork get some visibility, rather thatn stay tucked away, as may be the case with some of the older pieces...
JohnAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #38
azimansari

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumatDrake View Post
Well....I guess it's time to change a bit the rules then!!!!

It's useless for the community to come here, don't show anything about your work and post a composition done long (or not so long) time ago (I am saying this in general) just to win DVDs. As I said before we should share and improve... This is the reason forums were born I think..."to talk" with people around the world....

Let's say that a Gnomon DVD is about 60 $..... The first prize...25 DVD.....1500$ in training DVD every month (only for the 1st prize winners.....4500$ all the 3 contests)
I think there should be quite effort to win all these prizes!!!!! If we want this to be only a "post whatever you have that fits" without showing or saying anything, it's ok....we can do it....but it won't be a FORUM anymore.

I think there should be a binding "work in progress post" for each entry (not a daily post, but the main steps....) and the prohibition to use web's finished models and that kind of stuff....We can use base models or personal models(like average man from Zbrush) just as a start and then refine...blablablablabla....I have said to much...sorry, I sound like and old man now...LOL....
Just an idea....Not my forum...Gnomon's forum.....

*Bye guys, keep it up and don't get (too) mad with each other.....*

And sorry again for my preaching.....

Guys I think we should be greatful for the fact that we atleast have this oppertunity to participate and win DVDs. Ofcourse the DVDs are available to buy but not every one (like me) can afford it. So, I would really thank Alex for giving us this oppertunity. Alex is really doing a favour to the community by helping us.

And as far as changing the rules a bit, I will leave that to the judges. Using work that has been done in the past or using pre-made models, I really dont see a problem with that. Again, I will leave that to the judges. They are judges because they know best. And I trust their knowledge, experience and judgement. And as Alex said they look for potential not just technical details. Alex has always inspired and motivated me to reach where I am today. And I truly appreciate that.

It might not be easy to win those DVDs. But if someone really needs them he'll win them no matter what. "If the WHY is big enough the HOW won't matter"

And also dont be sorry for preaching. You just shared your point of view, which is a great thing to do. Good Luck everyone.
azimansari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #39
JokerFrown

sheesh anyone not doing it for the dvds?
I'm a noob too I might not finish my full project this month but it doesn't mean it can't be more fun

Last edited by JokerFrown; 01-17-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-17-2009   #40
aseryen

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerFrown View Post
sheesh anyone not doing it for the dvds?
I'm a noob too I might not finish my full project this month but it doesn't mean it can't be more fun
havent you won something already? haha you got DVDs...but true it should be more for the fun of a timed event for everyone to showcase their personal styles...dvds are just the motivation for people to enter cause there are a few other forums where its strictly show what you do and have people compliment

but idk i havent entered once yet so yeah...suck at digital 2d art...ok with maya but cant model a scene fast enough and fully render and blah blah blah...and dont have access to zbrush
aseryen is offline   Reply With Quote