This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Free Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding DVDs, tutorials, etc.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011   #1
venator87

Default MEL 101 Script Problems

I have been learning MEL through the MEL: 101 Fundamentals DVD. Some of the scripts that I have been using from the lesson are not working.

I will type it in by following the instructions or load the script from the project files, but when I execute it nothing happens or comes up. The entire algorithm disappears from the input, shows up in the history, and that's it.

I am using Maya 2012, while the the Kevin Manners is using an older version of Maya (probably 2009 or before). So that might be it. I also know that he is using MEL Studio Pro, which I can not find available at the links he provided (very old links at that) or anywhere else.

The problem happens when I try to create a global proc and put the proc's inner structure (algorithm) into squiggly brackets.

Last edited by venator87; 12-24-2011 at 23:09 PM.
venator87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #2
Brahman

Default Problems with MEL 101 too

I am having the exact same problem. When I use the global proc for the top UI suddenly nothing works. Other parts are working individually but it seems very unstable, when I fix one "undeclared variable" Then suddenly the cameraTSL cannot be found! It is very annoying that after all the countless hours that I cannot seem to pull it together. I even gave up and loaded his annotated version as a last resort and it is still not working. At least I know that it is not something I am doing wrong specifically. One real annoyance is the modelPanel command which always pulls up the script editor rather than the selected panel in the viewport. Anyway I still learned a ton, which is all I can really ask for I guess with 7 year old DVDs. I wish there was something as good as this but more updated.

Let me know if you figured it out or have any good alternatives

Cheers
Brahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #3
F_caire
Senor Caire

Quote:
Originally Posted by venator87 View Post
I have been learning MEL through the MEL: 101 Fundamentals DVD. Some of the scripts that I have been using from the lesson are not working.

I will type it in by following the instructions or load the script from the project files, but when I execute it nothing happens or comes up. The entire algorithm disappears from the input, shows up in the history, and that's it.

I am using Maya 2012, while the the Kevin Manners is using an older version of Maya (probably 2009 or before). So that might be it. I also know that he is using MEL Studio Pro, which I can not find available at the links he provided (very old links at that) or anywhere else.

The problem happens when I try to create a global proc and put the proc's inner structure (algorithm) into squiggly brackets.
Autodesk may have made changes to the newer version of maya which is probably causing your complications. Also if Mel studio pro is unavailable please try a different scripting program or see if a newer version is available.
F_caire is offline   Reply With Quote