This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Free Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding DVDs, tutorials, etc.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011   #1
Bokiche

Default Texturing/Modeling in movies

As Modeler, this the thing i am really interest, to work for feature movies. Vehicle/Props/Environments. But i will try to learn anatomy, so i can do characters too. As modeler, do i need to care about polygons? Let's say for games, they are limits for that, is this count too for movies? Does models need to be in quads? or triangles like in games?

What sculpting program should i use for that? Zbrush or MudBox? Or both?

And now for texturing, this is the part i am really confused, but i really want to learn as i work as modeler, so i can do both things, and will be big plus for me, finding job at VFX studio.
As texture artist, what is you job? How do you guys achieve so realistic characters, or even environments? Do you use real photo source, and somehow use them for texturing, or you use hand painting textures in photoshop?
For texturing, what is good to know, Mari or Photoshop, I;ve seen really stunning work just from Mari.

And now the biggest question and problem that bothering me. What maps do you guys creating from the the model, during texturing process? Like, for the games, i forgot the map, that is used to fake the high quality, and put it on low poly model. I think was normal or bump map, or both?

Would like to tell me, if you have time, to give me god advice for the map creation process in order. Someone told me that, the first map that is created is cavity map, then follow specular and displacement? Then, which map do you guys paint/work at photoshop or mari. What is the order of creating maps? I mean, everyone told me that different from the model i work, well let's say models, like, characters, environment,

Sorry for confusing you with the last question, i am too confused, and i have no idea if i write it you the right question. just , i need to know the order of the creating maps, etc.
Bokiche is offline   Reply With Quote