This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.
Montly Contest Winners
This page is best viewed with JavaScript enabled.

Go Back   The Gnomon Workshop Forums > Free Tutorials Discussions, Tips and Guidance > General Chat / Q+A

General Chat / Q+A Post your questions regarding DVDs, tutorials, etc.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010   #1
aeonbluestar

Default Rigging and Skinning Multiple Objects

So I am new to rigging/skinning. I'm also not interested in it as a focus, I just looked into it so I could pose my characters. I've only known how to do skeletons for a month, and just started to look into skinning deformations yesterday. I've been hacking it up to this point, rigging and posing a character then rescultping to make it all fit again (works as a hack for static poses, but would never work for animation).

I went through Carlo Sansonetti's rigging DVD, and went through some of his skinning one yesterday. Great information and I understood the concepts. In fact, I got them to work on a single mesh. But the problem is that I model all of my characters in multiple objects based on shader assignment (just like Alex for that matter). My problem comes when trying to skin a character built from multiple objects. The rig goes fine, the skin binding goes fine, but setting the weights is where I get lost.

One issue I had specifically was where a character I am working on now was wearing gauntlets and chainmail running just above her elbow. When modeling this, I left the hidden portion of the skin off, leaving just enough of her flesh to creep under the chainmail. So my problem comes when trying to set the skin weights for the pieces along the arm. Going with Carlo's technique of flooding the root and building up from there on each individual joint, I was running into the issue where when I would bend the arm, the arm and chainmail would move out of sync.

I have a general idea of how to handle this, but I'm an amateur at skinning, so I was wondering if there was any references or tutorials I could be pointed to that discuss sknning on characters built from multiple objects. Thanks in advance!

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][URL="http://www.johnwaynick.com"]http://www.johnwaynick.com[/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
aeonbluestar is offline   Reply With Quote