The Gnomon Workshop Forums

The Gnomon Workshop Forums (http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/index.php)
-   Work-in-Progress (WIPs) (http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   april 2d contest question (http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/showthread.php?t=2012)

dregoloth 04-15-2009 07:38 AM

april 2d contest question

1 Attachment(s)
hey, just showing my wip for the contest. got a question though
I'm working from grayscale, and, as you can see the skin isn't working. how can I get the colors proper value, or should I submit grayscale version?:confused:

GTpix 04-15-2009 12:53 PM

Hi Dregoloth,
if you work on Photoshop, try to paint your black on a greyscale picture, with black only. And then, when it is finished, copy-paste the final face onto your RGB picture.
The problem, on RGB and CMYK pictures is that the black (shortkey "d" in Photoshop) is a deep black, containing some cyan, magenta and yellow informations with the black.

Sample1: when you create a deep black to white gradient in CMYK, the grey values on this gradient seem to be yellow. That's because the % of the cyan, magenta and yellow included in the black are not the correct.

I will say that: only paint on the black channel, or work on a greyscale picture and copy-paste this on a RGB picture. Hope it is clear and hope It helps you.

dregoloth 04-15-2009 14:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTpix (Post 14641)
Hi Dregoloth,
if you work on Photoshop, try to paint your black on a greyscale picture, with black only. And then, when it is finished, copy-paste the final face onto your RGB picture.
The problem, on RGB and CMYK pictures is that the black (shortkey "d" in Photoshop) is a deep black, containing some cyan, magenta and yellow informations with the black.

Sample1: when you create a deep black to white gradient in CMYK, the grey values on this gradient seem to be yellow. That's because the % of the cyan, magenta and yellow included in the black are not the correct.

I will say that: only paint on the black channel, or work on a greyscale picture and copy-paste this on a RGB picture. Hope it is clear and hope It helps you.

I work in gimp, however, if what you say is true (which I'm sure it is) I know a guy who would let me use his coppy of photoshop for coloring
thanks

GTpix 04-15-2009 15:20 PM

Hi!
I think it is exactly the same thing in Gimp. If you cannot, try to reduce the yellow and the magenta on the black you use.

dregoloth 04-15-2009 16:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTpix (Post 14645)
Hi!
I think it is exactly the same thing in Gimp. If you cannot, try to reduce the yellow and the magenta on the black you use.

great! thanks

Gossioii5 04-16-2009 18:48 PM

A wonderful article

A wonderful article…. In my life, I have never seen a man be so selfless in helping others around him to get along and get working.