The Gnomon Workshop Forums

The Gnomon Workshop Forums (http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/index.php)
-   Work-in-Progress (WIPs) (http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Stairway WIP (http://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/showthread.php?t=2230)

Krazy8 07-10-2009 09:58 AM

Stairway WIP

1 Attachment(s)
This is my WIP for the stairway. I'm doing stairs leading up to cathedral doors.

Krazy8 07-11-2009 17:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've finished the stone sides to the stairway. Now on to the stairs themselves and then the rest of the building and more detail. C&C please.

Krazy8 07-13-2009 20:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Almost finished with it. Just some more tweaking. C&C please!!

Alanise 07-13-2009 21:59 PM

The scene is looking good , but there need to be a finished connection from the cast stone molding on the wall to the column molding. If they are that close together like in your scene architecturally they would flow into each other as one molding profile wrapping around. You never see the end of the molding it always goes around corners until it can die into wall. Usually there are buttress columns along the wall that helps with molding finish endings.

Krazy8 07-14-2009 20:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took your advice on it and I went ahead and went with three portals instead of one. I really like the way it looks now instead of just one.

Alanise 07-15-2009 00:19 AM

I like the three better than one also and solved your molding connection issue

mkyboy 07-15-2009 02:13 AM

Great modelling - I think the lighting looks rather flat though, maybe and more drama by have a night scene with the door ajar letting light out from inside.. as if it beckons you in.. maybe some torches outside? I'm not an environment artist myself but there's plenty of scope looking at that great model :D

Amonite 07-15-2009 03:13 AM

It almost seems tilted back (the wall/door/arch) rather than perpendicular to the ground plane - which is probably an optical illusion, but it is slightly disconcerting.

I agree that some more 'drama' would help it look a little less flat - just angling the picture to look a little more across the stairs and arches, perhaps, and tweaking the lighting to add some visual interest. The model itself is nice, some pretty solid architecture :) I like the stone railing (well, really, the stonework all over the piece, I love old buildings).

ChrRambow 07-15-2009 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with all these suggestions and i would change the aspect ratio of the image
and maybe changing the forms a littlebit to get a much more interesting shape.

Ive attachted a small mockup of what i mean.

Keep it up! :)

Krazy8 07-15-2009 09:51 AM

Thank you all for the input. I appreciate it all. I'll definately mess around with all of the different things everyone said. I might try a night scene I just don't know how to do good flames so it might not look as good lol.